Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Lightbulb MPC toner supply pump.

Has anyone replaced a toner supply pump on a MPC for the symptom of constantly thinking it's at toner end and asking for the bottle to be replaced?

What I've tried...

1. I swapped the toner end sensors around with another colour which made no difference.

2. I tested the toner end sensors from input mode. (worked)

3. I tested the pumps clutch was turning on via output mode. (worked)

4. I flushed out all the toner from the entry nozzle, the supply tube and the toner pump incase of a clog and that also made no difference.
    (I noted it did required a fair amount of torque to turn the pump shaft manually, more than a small electric clutch could handle? maybe).

5. Next I disabled toner end detection via SP3045 and managed to run the toner dry within 40 prints doing full coverage triggering SC360.

6. Thinking it could be a faulty TD sensor I tried a new dev unit and dev.
    Same result managed to run it dry within 40 prints of full coverage printing again.

7. And last of all I forced the toner three times in row and made one more background shot... and it was still as pale as Wacko Jacko's ass.

So basically I'm fairly convinced that the pump is shot (but I don't have one to try at the moment).
    I just wanted to see if anyone else had replaced one of these pumps for the same kind of fault.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    I have not had to change a pump, but have had the privilege of cleaning the system out because of hardened toner that was stuck in the line. Which gives you the same conditions you have.

It seems you covered all the bases and I would also feel confident it was a pump. If you have the machine in your shop, you try swaping from another color, but... other than that, I would order a pump.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    It's not the pump I tried one today.

After taking a closer look it turns out there is no drive getting to the black toner pump gear.
    So it's off with gear box when I get time to see whats gone tits up.

Oh joy LOL.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

the undertaker

Re: MPC toner supply pump.

hello ciphir
    old thread found in search. Have a similar problem at the moment with mpc 4500 / sc360 and have just replaced the pump but feel it might come back, what was the fix in this case? also can the pumps be swapped around ?

sir,
    SC360 C TD Sensor Output Error 1: Vt Above Upper Limit
    The result of the check of the TD sensor output (Vt) after every copy for 10 continuous copies was Vt ≥ 4.0V (out of range).
    TD sensor dirty or defective
    TD sensor connector to BICU loose, broken, defective
    IOB defective
    BICU defective

regards,

the undertaker

thanks lupi but I think the machine had a toner supply problem (bottle turns and tube is clear). I am asking if anyone has seen a problem with the mechanism that drives the pump after reading this early thread