Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Scan to only one PC

Scan to only one PC

I know none of Ricoh's products will scan via USB. Is there a way to scan to a dedicated PC. w/o going through a network? To date we've been scanning to a memory stick and then hand carrying to the PC.

Copymutt

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to only one PC

Re: Scan to only one PC

Is there a reason why you do not want to use network scanning? If there is no network, you can use a crossover cable and connect the MFP directly to the computer. If the customer only wireless networking, use the crossover cable and bridge the wired connection to the wireless connection on the PC.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Scan to only one PC

Thanks slimslob,

Client is concerned about security & hacking (medical info). Your crossover suggestion should work.

I thank you.

Copymutt

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

If there is a network in place, you could always create a user account on the copier that locks the scan function to only use the one destination in the address book (dedicated sender). Overall, scanning to a USB drive seems a rather riskier approach considering the number of autorun infected USB drives I've come across. One of my customer's AV suites showed multiple blocked infections all leading back to USB drives that were infected: it took close to a month before all of the affected drives were found, wiped, and cleaned. Also, what's to stop someone from dropping the flash drive into their bag or pocket and taking the information out of the office with them? Unless the drive itself is encrypted in some manner there's no security over PII at all beyond physical control of the device.