Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Firmware download error and now its DEAD

Hello

I have an MP C2551 that I was upgrading the ADF firmware on. In the middle of the upgrade it failed with a download error E40. I realized I was using the wrong firmware so I downloaded the correct firmware and tried the upgrade again. I did not succeed and the damage is done. I have ordered both a Controller and an NVRAM. My question is can I replace just one of these or should I do both together? I know I will lose some previous information if I replace them both at the same time. Is the firmware resident on the NVRAM? can i replace just that?

Thanks!

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Re: Firmware download error and now its DEAD

did you clear the E-40 before you tried to reload?? PM'ed you on how to
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

iirc ADF firmware is on the ADF PCB. The controller and nvram should be ok. But you'll most likely need a new D541 5100 PCB: Main Control: Ass'y

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Just remove the ADF. If the problem is with the ADF board, this should allow the main machine to operate.

There is a recovery boot SD card available for some MFP. Check with your regional service rep.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I'd be willing to bet that what Tonerbomb PM'ed you is right on the money.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

After 2 weeks of troubleshooting I finally got this problem resolved and wanted to share.
    After replacing 2 Main Controllers, the Main Controller NVRAM, Main Controller Memory sticks, the BCU and the HDD, the" Please Wait" message continued to display.
    I decided to pursue the NVRAM on the BCU. This is an 8 pin EEPROM. This was difficult as it was only labeled eeprom in the parts manual and the figure showed it somewhere on the back of the machine but not in the PCB diagram. I took a chance ordering it because it was not labeled NVRAM and I didn't know if it was the same specs as the one installed.
    Upon installation I received new behavior which was error SC 995-04. This indicates wrong model controller. When I went into service mode everything was in Japanese but the user tools were still in English. The TSC advised me to use Factory Service Mode (CM,1,4,3,CS,CS) and change SP5807 to value 2 (North America). The default is 1(Japan). Upon reboot I now received an SC 195 which indicates a Serial Number mismatch but now service mode was displayed in English. Using Factory Service Mode again, I accessed SP 5811-1 to input the MFP Serial Number and did another reboot. Everything came up this time but I had to re-input all values from the birth certificate and do the calibrations.
    The machine was now in working mode but not recognizing the ADF. This problem arose while updating ADF with the wrong firmware so I decided to replace the ADF Controller which resolved the problem.
    In summary, by flashing the ADF with the wrong firmware, the ADF Controller was no longer operational and it also corrupted the BCU NVRAM.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Glad you got it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now You have Graduated from the school of hard knocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

i guess i got lucky when i put the wrong firmware on a 2550, mine just did this when i opened a door, lol

IMG_0970.jpg

-my old avatar btw
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained