Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MP5001 SD card restoration

Hey guys,

I need your expert assistance. I'm working on a Ricoh MP5001 that is giving me the message "sd card for restoration is required." That is as far as it goes when I turn it on. It won't even allow me in the service mode. How do I prepare the card? What files and format does it require? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MP5001 SD card restoration

Quote Originally Posted by charrex1 View Post
    Hey guys,

I need your expert assistance. I'm working on a Ricoh MP5001 that is giving me the message "sd card for restoration is required." That is as far as it goes when I turn it on. It won't even allow me in the service mode. How do I prepare the card? What files and format does it require? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
    Hello

This sounds like one of the SD cards has become corrupted.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Hey guys,

Never had this happen before... Johnnyb may be on the right track, I would remove the sd cards and see what it does when it boots. Were you doing anything with firmware or the address book like back up or restore???? Did you get any sc codes or E-xx codes prior?????????????
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

The machine has no SD cards in it. I'm not getting any error codes. I received the machine this way so I don't know if anything was done with the firmware.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: MP5001 SD card restoration

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

I think this is one of those rare times when a NVRAM is called for. Especially if you cant get into service mode.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama46 View Post
    I think this is one of those rare times when a NVRAM is called for. Especially if you cant get into service mode.
    I agree!!! unless your a Ricoh dealer with access to tech support from Ricoh, Thyen I would make that call.......
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama46 View Post
    If you cannot get into service mode, "Service Mode Lock" might be on. This especially true if the machine had been at a government location.
    "[User Tools] > System Settings > Administrator Tools > Service Mode Lock > OFF" You will need to be login as the Administrator.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hey guys,

I am also getting this message. It started with a controller sc, so I sent the controller into Hytec and they sent it back no problem found. I installed it along with a new HDD. It has original nvram, still has same message with no SD cards, or no HDD. Any further ideas? Thanks

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wester View Post
    I am also getting this message. It started with a controller sc, so I sent the controller into Hytec and they sent it back no problem found. I installed it along with a new HDD. It has original nvram, still has same message with no SD cards, or no HDD. Any further ideas? Thanks
    Zed from another thread.
    zed255

Re: MP301- SD card restoration is required
    Encryption recovery steps to use are machine dependent, older vs. newer. See bottom for additional thoughts.

---------

On 'older' encrypted machines follow below to force clear encryption (or perform recovery if the key is available):

1) Freshly formatted SD card, completely blank. I like to use the SD Association formatted and do a full overwrite.

2) Create a directory named:

restore_key

3) Create a text file in the newly created 'restore_key' directory named:

nvram_key.txt

Note that you do not add the .txt to the file name if you are hiding known file extensions in your file browser, you will end up with a file named nvram_key.txt.txt that WILL NOT work.

4) Edit the newly created nvram_key.txt file to contain the text string:

nvclear

Note here there must be no additional carriage returns - do not hit return / enter, you will create a new line and the file WILL NOT work. If you have the encryption key and are attempting recovery enter the text string of the encryption key instead.

5) Insert the card in the service slot (2) and start up the machine. When the normal screen appears, shut down and remove the card.

----------

On newer machines the format and naming are different:

1) Freshly formatted SD card, completely blank. I like to use the SD Association formatted and do a full overwrite.

2) Create a directory named:

restore_key

3) Inside the newly created 'restore_key' directory, create another directory named the same as the target machines serial number (example only):

A12BC345678

4) Create a text file inside the newly created 'serial number' folder named in the format key_serialnumber.txt (example only):

key_A12BC345678.txt

Note that you do not add the .txt to the file name if you are hiding known file extensions in your file browser, you will end up with a file named key_serialnumber.txt.txt that WILL NOT work.

5) Edit the newly created key_serialnumber.txt file to contain the text string:

nvclear

Note here there must be no additional carriage returns - do not hit return / enter, you will create a new line and the file WILL NOT work. If you have the encryption key and are attempting recovery enter the text string of the encryption key instead.

6) Insert the card in the service slot (2) and start up the machine. When the normal screen appears, shut down and remove the card.

----------

Other issues that may prevent recovery:

Using a controller that was in a different machine may be an issue due to a serial number mismatch.

Having a differing hardware configuration may present an issue, i.e. one machine having a hard drive and the other not.

In general avoid swapping boards, you may end up with more headaches than you solve. Also, unless insisted upon by a client don't encrypt machines. Controller issues are much more difficult to resolve when encryption is applied.

Last edited by zed255; 02-26-2019 at 12:07 AM.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING