Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts jam-o-matic's Avatar

MP C4503 Transfer belt walked and torn!?

set up our first couple of "03" models (nice change to the SP access ), everything went fine, tested 50 B&W, 10 color. Installed at customer site and after the first 20 color prints the crinkling noise of a transfer belt. Tech found the transfer cleaning unit FULL of waste toner & the T-belt shifted to one side, wrinkling and ripping the belt. Wondering if anyone else has had this, really hoping it was a fluke, before we install the replacement T-belt. No tape or debris in cleaning unit. Set up from manual. Scratching head, praying for no repeat of some previous launch issues...
    Thanks for any input.

update: replaced the ITB unit with new (doesn't come with cleaning unit), running fine today. Have the bad one at the office, cleaning coil turned fine. I suspect the toner buildup may have been from when it kept trying to calibrate while the belt was wrinkled, and laying down color patch/strips over & over. I will update if anything found upon tear down.
    Last edited by jam-o-matic; 09-13-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Re: MP C4503 Transfer belt walked and torn!?

I've had a few units with stoppers still in the dev units, could be that or another stopper/tag missed during manufacturing. I think Ricoh's quality is starting to go downhill lately.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

If the ITB-Cleaning Unit is full of toner then maybe one of the coils that move the waste toner to the waste toner tank is broken?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben:378428
    I've had a few units with stoppers still in the dev units, could be that or another stopper/tag missed during manufacturing. I think Ricoh's quality is starting to go downhill lately.
    I agree Ruben the latest models are cheap and plastic'y, not as robost a Ricoh normally is ....
    Time will tell but I think Ricoh have gone backwards in their design! maybe the guy who fooked up Some other manufacturers machines have now gone to Ricoh to fook up theirs, they have also taken their friends who design and compile the field service and part's manuals to Ricoh as these have been dire too at Ricoh lately.
    As I say gone backwards! !

Retired 10,000+ Posts

In trying to put the duplexor completely inside the unit and still mantain the same foot print, they kind of scrunched everything together.

The new so called 3D pdf part catalogs are a pain. I have even had support personnel complain about them. Give me the old flat blow up or the true 3D catalog. As for the service manual, I used to use the Detailed Description section as an aid for trouble shooting.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Met up with a tech today with the same thing. I found the front finisher bracket screw was pushing against the ITB frame.

On what type of finisher?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I think it was the 3160 (?). Actually I didn't check, but the ITB assy. was stiff pulling out & pushing in until I backed the screw out.

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jam-o-matic View Post
    set up our first couple of "03" models (nice change to the SP access ), everything went fine, tested 50 B&W, 10 color. Installed at customer site and after the first 20 color prints the crinkling noise of a transfer belt. Tech found the transfer cleaning unit FULL of waste toner & the T-belt shifted to one side, wrinkling and ripping the belt. Wondering if anyone else has had this, really hoping it was a fluke, before we install the replacement T-belt. No tape or debris in cleaning unit. Set up from manual. Scratching head, praying for no repeat of some previous launch issues...
    Thanks for any input.

update: replaced the ITB unit with new (doesn't come with cleaning unit), running fine today. Have the bad one at the office, cleaning coil turned fine. I suspect the toner buildup may have been from when it kept trying to calibrate while the belt was wrinkled, and laying down color patch/strips over & over. I will update if anything found upon tear down.
    We had one do exactly the same thing.........belt shredded itself one day in. New ITB and been fine since. Transfer cleaners will always be full of toner due to "clever" design and having it mounted on top of the belt assy.

Next time your in front of one have a good look at the fuser exit guide, and if our keen take out the paper exit unit and have a look at the guides in this part - then take a Bex and have a good lie down.

Quote Originally Posted by techsass View Post
    I think it was the 3160 (?). Actually I didn't check, but the ITB assy. was stiff pulling out & pushing in until I backed the screw out.
    If the bracket is connected using the right screw, then we can look forward to a Ricoh-Bulletin...