Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Angry Ricoh 2020D 'Scan to Email' function not working, although does print on wfi network

Can't 'Scan to Email' on USB connected printer to 2nd Apple Airport Extreme (in Bridge mode extending wireless network). Oddly enough I can print to it fine though from two different iMacs via wifi network.

Printer is set to static IP adress (192.168.0.50).
    Upstream Router is: 192.168.0.1 (this is connected to first AE). This is assigning local IP addresses.

Under user tools > System settings > Interface Settings > network:
    The following is filled out: IP address, subnet mask, gateway address, dns server

From user tools > System Settings > file transfer
    delivery option is off
    smtp server that has normally worked is: mail.clubtelco.com (have also tried smtp.clubtelco.com)
    port is 25
    smtp authentication is off (have tried turning this on & entering my username & password but doesn't solve problem)
    pop before smtp is off

When the printer was previously attached (by ethernet cable) to the first AE, everything was working fine and I could login to printer Admin page via Safari by tying IP Address.

I guess the main problem is that the printer can't be found by typing 192.168.0.50 into Safari browser. If that worked, I am sure it would Scan to Email fine, but I think the printer is a little lost on the wireless network even though I can print to it.

Appreciate your thoughts and help.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Ricoh 2020D 'Scan to Email' function not working, although does print on wfi netw

If I'm reading this right, you're using a USB port on an Airport module to use the device as a network printer, correct? If so, then all you'll ever be able to do is print because the rest of your computers are sending print jobs to the Airport, which then passes them through to the 2020. The scanner for this machine, and all GW Ricohs only works via Ethernet. This would also explain why you're not able to hit the web interface. I'd bet if you ping the IP for the printer nothing will reply...

Re: Ricoh 2020D 'Scan to Email' function not working, although does print on wfi netw

Hi rthonpm,

Yes you are correct. I have changed back to Ethernet connection. Problem is that since moving the printer to the back of the house and connecting it to a different Airport Extreme that is exteding the network, the printer cannot be found via:
    System Prefs > Print & Fax > Add > IP > LDP > 192.168.0.50 (currently just hangs not seeing the printer).Normally the printer name appears and the correct driver is shown at the bottom as Use: Ricoh 2020D Driver

Printer Configuration page attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Ahh the fun of Airport modules, bridging never seems quite as easy with them as it should be... Does the Airport set as an access point (as opposed to a router) have a static IP set for it in the same IP range as the primary Airport? If the primary is 192.168.0.1, then you'd want the AP to be 192.168.0.2. Pretty much the issue is going to be with the rather difficult network setup more than anything else.

Smile Re: Ricoh 2020D 'Scan to Email' function not working, although does print on wfi netw

Thank you! That advise helped solve my problem and 'Scan to email' is now working following my new setup as follows....
    Ricoh 2020D attached to Airport Extreme set to 'extended network' mode, then assign reserved IP addresses with Mac Address in modem/router LAN settings for each AE base station, starting with closest to modem being 192.168.0.2, then 2nd AE assigned 192.168.0.3, and 3rd AE assigned 192.168.0.3 etc... Ricoh 2020D has reserved IP address 192.168.0.50.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Airport my arse.