Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Exclamation Ricoh 1045 first duplex copy jams??

Ive got a problem when duplexing on a 1045, it appears that the gate after the fusing unit fails to switch, causing the paper to try to exit the machine rather than be diverted into the duplex unit.

The strange thing is that it's only usually the first copy or so. Once the jam is removed, it tends to work fine again until left for some time.

I have taken the scanner off and examined the gates and solenoids and there seem to be no obvious faults.

Any ideas???

My mobile No is: 07973 524893 (9am-9pm GMT UK Time)

Thanks in advance

Lea

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    I had two of these do this to me about a year ago... within the same week. Haven't seen another since. Anyway, what I found was that if you look closely at the inverter assy, specifically the gate you speak of, you will find two small pads on the frame that the gate rests on. What happens, in my case anyway, the pads wear down and tear. This exposes the adhesive from underneath the pads, causing the gate to stick after setting awhile.

When you first show up to work on the machine, reach your hand in there and see if you can move the gate. If you feel a slight bind, then feel it give way, then you know this is your problem. After it's released from the pads, it has to sit awhile before it will stick again.

My suggestion... Tear down to the inverter assy and remove the small black pads and clean the frame, where the pads were located, making sure there is no adhesive there. This should solve your problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unisys12 View Post
    I had two of these do this to me about a year ago... within the same week. Haven't seen another since. Anyway, what I found was that if you look closely at the inverter assy, specifically the gate you speak of, you will find two small pads on the frame that the gate rests on. What happens, in my case anyway, the pads wear down and tear. This exposes the adhesive from underneath the pads, causing the gate to stick after setting awhile.

When you first show up to work on the machine, reach your hand in there and see if you can move the gate. If you feel a slight bind, then feel it give way, then you know this is your problem. After it's released from the pads, it has to sit awhile before it will stick again.

My suggestion... Tear down to the inverter assy and remove the small black pads and clean the frame, where the pads were located, making sure there is no adhesive there. This should solve your problem.

+1 common problem. Remove the pads and it should work again.

Technician

Thumbs up FIXED!

Hey Thanks Unisys12, You couldn't have been more spot on with your diagnosis if you tried! Was excactly that.

Easy when you know how eh!

Thanks again Unisys, and to Wishbone for your confirmation

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Well explained we have loads of 1045s where guys have scratched their heads for a little while why this happens.

One thing to bear in mind is some of the solenoids become a bit noisy to some very senstive ears in the customers sometimes with out the pad. So if you know they are fussy worth checking with them and asjusting if necessary or as some engineers do they put in a subsitute padding in.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Cool beans! Glad to help...

Technician

junction gate piece breaks too

I have found jams in duplex when the end of the gate (where it makes contact with the solenoid) breaks off and causes jams!!!

Old Retired IKON Drudge
    If you go removing pads from solenoids on Ricoh stuff, be sure the plunger does not bottom out as this will cause sticking and the same problem you are trying to cure. Different techs have different ways of solving this issue, all of which are effective to some degree. I made sure the solenoid body was cleaned of all oil and debris and then would hit the point of the plunger with a small hammer to flare it out a bit. Worked great and didn't upset my stomach.

Doc

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh 1045 first duplex copy jams??

Superglue

This was a fairly common issue on some Canon finishers. I used to remove the pads, clean off all the two sided tape off the frame and pad, then re-stick the pad (or a replacement) with superglue. It never comes off (even if you want it to, so get it in the right place the first time).