Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Afico MP 3035 overtoning issue

Hello, thanks for reading:

I had one of our techs call me today to help troubleshoot an Aficio 3035 with an overtoning issue. We've taken this account over from another service company that could not resolve the issue in over a years time. Our tech arrived on-site and started reading the service history left behind. The Dev unit (and td sensor of course), drum, developer, IOB, toner bottle holder have apparently all been tried. My tech checked all defaults to see if any had been adjusted, such as toner add rate, dev bias, toner supply mode, etc. and it appears not one thing is away from default. Vsp is 4.21 and Vsg is .07 at pretty much all times. Watching the toner bottle during a run he says it comes on and off at rather inconsistent times. Cheating the transport door switch, he watched the patch develop on the drum and says it looks much like he has experienced on other models of the sort. We are down to thinking that the ID sensor may be the cause, but cannot justify that as the sensor readings are 5.00 or 0 constantly. The TD sensor is theoretically out of the conversation as it was replaced at the time of the new developer units replacement.

All that being said, this was a machine picked up from another service provider and there is no tell if the IOB was new or out of another machine, or whether the dev unit was a swapped part. anyone else have an idea of what to look for, or have you seen and resolved this issue before. Any help is appreciated!
    VectorLinux---Check it out!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: Afico MP 3035 overtoning issue

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Re: Afico MP 3035 overtoning issue

is the machine set to pixel count? is the drum, toner oem? TD sensor readings should be set at 4v when replaced as new. charge roller new? as this sets the patch on the drum.

taken from the af3035 but same principle.
    Sensor Control Mode
    In the sensor control mode, the amount of toner required to print the page is
    calculated by the CPU; it adds up the image data value of each pixel and converts
    the sum to a value between 0 and 255. (255 would mean a completely black page.)
    The machine must vary toner supply for each copy in order to maintain the correct
    amount of toner in the developer and to account for changes in drum reflectivity
    due to changes in temperature and humidity. The CPU uses data from the TD
    sensor and ID sensor to determine whether or not the toner supply motor should be
    switched on and to calculate how long it should remain on in order to supply more
    toner to the mixture in the development unit.
    TD Sensor
    . When new developer of standard toner concentration is installed,
    namely 20 g of toner per 500 g of developer (4.0% by weight), the TD sensor must
    be set to its initial setting of 4.0V with SP2-801. This initial setting is used as the
    toner supply reference voltage or Vref. For every copy cycle, the TD sensor directly
    checks the toner density in the developer mixture, and after 10 copies these 10
    readings are averaged and this value becomes TD sensor output voltage Vt(10).
    The machine compares Vt(10) with Vref. If Vt(10) is greater than Vref, the toner
    concentration in the development unit judged to be low. When Vt(10) is detected to
    be greater than Vref 20 times, then this indicates that the toner concentration is
    consistently low, Vref is incremented by 0.1V, and the conditions are checked
    again. The result of this check determines the value of K, the toner supply rate
    coefficient, which is one of the factors that is used in the toner supply motor ontime
    calculation.
    ID Sensor
    . In addition to comparing Vt(10) from the TD sensor and Vref, after
    every 10 copies the ID sensor, located at the lower right area of the drum, checks
    both the reflectivity (Vsg) and the pattern on the drum (Vsp), created by the laser
    diodes and charge roller. If the reflected light is too strong, this indicates that toner
    is low and toner is added to the development unit. (The frequency of these checks
    can be adjusted with SP2-210 (ID Sensor Pattern Interval).

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Is this one of the machines that had the problems with toner coating the developer (mag) roller? You might want to wipe the developer off a portion of the roller with a soft dry cloth to see whether the surface of the roller is silver colored or has toner fused to it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Have you checked drum ground?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Config page instructions for copiers, printers, & fax machines

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Is this one of the machines that had the problems with toner coating the developer (mag) roller? You might want to wipe the developer off a portion of the roller with a soft dry cloth to see whether the surface of the roller is silver colored or has toner fused to it.
    For more information, see the attached bulletin 012R for the MP 8035, B291/B295/B296/B297. rfg032789.pdf

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. JustManuals, no thanks, I've all the reading material I need on all the Ricoh machines. The machine is in Sensor Control mode and all values are correct. This is not a machine that suffers from the dreaded coated mag roller issue, but all the same, the technician has checked for that. Plus, the dev unit in the machine has less than 20k on it. Drum ground was the first thing I thought of but the tech was hesitant to check for that. I've replaced those multiple times for similar issues. As such, I'll have the tech swap it out (with new, not from another box) and we will go from there.

Again, thanks for all the quick responses!
    VectorLinux---Check it out!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

I'we encountered few 35's overtoning,now before I start I shuld explain that those machines was serviced by...rogue techs...guys that didn't bother with service manuals...and we have quite a few on the market.
    It crossed my mind that meybe they changed developer at some point and did developer initialisation instead of TD sensor initialisation...so machine got confused,it didn't know what values to aim for.
    I took out toner bottle,ran some quarter black papers on machine,and checked SP 3103 untill it gave me Vsg=4.11 or so and Vsp=0.19 or so.
    I turned machine off,took out assy's and cleaned them all,reasembled,powered on,once I saw the values still the same I initiated TD sensor with piece of paper blocking entrance to developing assembly,so that waste toner wuldn't confuse TD sensor,and it did the trick,machine still runs smooth.
    Now it was such circumstances that alowed me to try this out on field...I basicaly held no responcability if anything goes wrong cause customer was like "man we tryed it all with them and it didn't work out...if you can do anything we wuld apretiate it"...it was eather that or dumpster.
    I did all this on a guess I suppose,culd be that it just suppressed the problem for some time,fact is 35's are dirty little piglets,but I still didn't get any more calls for those machines other than SC542...and that's entirely diferent story.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

hi i encountered in this many times i will give yo abstraction .check that developer type.or not used from another machine.may be laser unit. some techs turn variable resistors in laser unit it's also give very high over toner page.yo must know who's technicians before yo go.and what they did

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

Did it work Ok before the dev unit was replaced its possible to fit the wrong one check the part number in the service log book hopefully they did write it in.