Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Ricoh Aficio 1515 Paper Jams at exit!

Hi to all Riso gurus, First I confess I am not a Ricoh guy. But trust these customers, they think we can we repair any machine. Now, I have this small small Ricoh Aficio 1515 which has an intermittent problem of paper jam at the exit rollers; the copies are clear after having changed the developer, sometimes the papers can pass properly through the fixing unit, say 10 copies, then when you try to copy again, the paper seems to struggle to pass through the fixing unit, jerkily, then stops. I have removed and checked components in the fixing unit, the lower pressure roller has 'wrinkles' at both ends, I suspect this could be contributing to this problem, but again the copies are clear and properly fused on the paper, doesn't rub off, indicating good fixing pressure. Once in a while also the middle pawl on the heater roller blocks the paper.
    Could you folks guide me on how I could solve this problem?
    Last edited by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS; 10-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 1515  Paper Jams at exit!

Exclamation Re: Ricoh Aficio 1515 Paper Jams at exit!

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Aficio 1515 Paper Jams at exit!

These machines have a PM interval of 90k. The Fusing Units of these models get a bit dusty over time, causing papaer jams on the exit. Best thing to do is replace the Hot Roller, Pressure Roller, and Stripper Pawls. Also check the thermistor for toner buildup.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    These machines have a PM interval of 90k. The Fusing Units of these models get a bit dusty over time, causing papaer jams on the exit. Best thing to do is replace the Hot Roller, Pressure Roller, and Stripper Pawls. Also check the thermistor for toner buildup.
    clean the fuser entry plate which will build up wth toner.the fingers too..
    cant remember the 1515 but some of the lower speed ricohs had ribs to guide paper into
    the fuser unit.
    sometimes they would break creating a stumble for the paper..
    wrinkled lower rollers wth flat spots might be it but you need to eliminate all other possibilities gears bearings etc

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

also make sure its OEM toner, like eric said strip out the fuser unit and clean the sensors as they get dusty and you might need to change the fuser, press and picker fingers. also check the press roller bushings as they do go uneven after a bit if you replace any fuser parts.

Thanks folks for the quick replies and inputs. I'm currently working on the machine and there's some progress, a lot, I must say. I removed the fuser unit and thoroughly cleaned and blew off all the dust, on sensors; scrapped the coated toner on the paper input guide plate, noticed one of the exit rollers (middle one) was moving with difficulty, tightened the two screws on the exit assembly, and now copies are spitting out very very well. I have made over 100 copies so far without jam problem.

However, i have noticed one more problem: If I am making one copy (single page) the back of the copy is soiled with toner, a very dark band about half an inch (1/2cm) in width, at the leading edge, running across the paper, in the vertical scan direction, only at top leading edge, back of the paper. But as you make multiple copies it disappears. In fact it appears on the first copy, but the subsequent copies are very clear with no dirt at the back of the paper. This one has left me confused. Say something about it, share your experience with us. Thanks in advance.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    Thanks folks for the quick replies and inputs. I'm currently working on the machine and there's some progress, a lot, I must say. I removed the fuser unit and thoroughly cleaned and blew off all the dust, on sensors; scrapped the coated toner on the paper input guide plate, noticed one of the exit rollers (middle one) was moving with difficulty, tightened the two screws on the exit assembly, and now copies are spitting out very very well. I have made over 100 copies so far without jam problem.

However, i have noticed one more problem: If I am making one copy (single page) the back of the copy is soiled with toner, a very dark band about half an inch (1/2cm) in width, at the leading edge, running across the paper, in the vertical scan direction, only at top leading edge, back of the paper. But as you make multiple copies it disappears. In fact it appears on the first copy, but the subsequent copies are very clear with no dirt at the back of the paper. This one has left me confused. Say something about it, share your experience with us. Thanks in advance.
    is it oem toner? if not that's what causes it

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 1515  Paper Jams at exit!

Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post

This is very common. Usually comes from the transfer roller getting dirty between copies. There are settings in SP for having the machine to run a reverse charge on the transfer roller between copies to push the toner back to the drum. Also, probably time to replace the transfer roller.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    This is very common. Usually comes from the transfer roller getting dirty between copies. There are settings in SP for having the machine to run a reverse charge on the transfer roller between copies to push the toner back to the drum. Also, probably time to replace the transfer roller.
    Thanks slimslob for your input, I've called a friend of mine working with the Ricoh company here and he said the same thing about the transfer roller bringing the problem. He has promised to get me another transfer roller to replace . But if I could save a few coins by making the machine run the 'reverse charge on the roller' to solve the problem, I would be happier; who doesn't want to save a few coins? If only you could tell me the simulation number of the SP, i know to enter the SP mode.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

That line on the back usualy comes out on first paper,and ewery following don't have it,yet I beleve you have some background on ewery paper...some small amount of grayness all ower the paper.
    As they pointed out it's toner related,one way to get rid of it is to print out 50 to 100 blank papers,to take out that faulty toner particles that piled up in developing assy.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?