Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

UPDATING FIRMWARES of AFICIO MP SERIES UNITS

Hi,
    I am firmarly trained at AFICIO 1035/2035 units with PCMCIA service cards.Now I have many AFICIO MP series units in field. Although I have arranged firmware files but I have no adequate knowledge to update the firmware and other issues.Unfortunately no training session is available here.Would someone senior guide me briefly about the procedures to update firmwares of MP series machines.
    regards

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: UPDATING FIRMWARES of AFICIO MP SERIES UNITS

Make sure all firmware files are on the root folder of the SD card under their respective Product Code (MP4000 for example being D009) in a folder called "romdata".
    Power down machine, insert SD card to SD slot 2, power up machine.
    Machine will boot into firmware update mode, proceed with selecting applicable updates and hit enter. Machine will update firmware, ensure power is not lost.

Your service manual should cover all of this.

Copied from D009 manual for reference:
    5.30.2 UPDATING FIRMWARE
    Preparation
    1. If the SD card is blank, copy the entire “romdata” folder onto the SD card.
    2. If the card already contains the “romdata” folder, copy the “D009” folder onto the card.
    Do not put multiple machine firmware programs on the same SD card. Copy
    the only model firmware you want.
    1. Turn the main power switch off.
    2. Remove the slot cover ( x 1).
    3. Insert the SD card into SD Card Slot 2. Make sure the label on the SD card faces the
    rear side of the machine.
    4. Slowly push the SD card into the slot so it locks in place. You will hear it click. Make sure
    the SD card locks in place.

ƒ To remove the SD, push it in to unlock the spring lock. Then release it so it pops
    out of the slot.
    5. Disconnect the network cable from the copier if the machine is connected to a network.
    6. Switch the main power switch on. After about 45 seconds, the initial version update
    screen appears on the LCD in English.
    7. On the screen, touch the button or press the corresponding number key on the
    operation panel to select the item in the menu that you want to update.
    Controller, engine and operation panel firmware cannot be updated at the same
    time. It is recommended to update firmware modules one by one.
    8. Touch “UpDate (#)” (or ) to start the update.
    ƒ While downloading is in progress, the LCD will display “Loading”. When
    downloading has been completed, the panel will display “update done”.
    ƒ For operation panel software, the Start key lights red while downloading is in
    progress, and then lights green again after downloading is completed
    9. The "Update is Done" message appears on the operation panel after completing the updating. The message differs depending on the firmware that has been updated.
    10. Switch the copier main power switch off when you see the “Update is Done” message or
    follow the procedure that is displayed on the operation panel.
    11. Press in the SD card to release it. Then remove it from the slot.
    12. Switch the copier on for normal operation.

This will vary from machine to machine of course.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Akitu pretty much covered the process. The only things I want to add are:
    1. Some older machines will have three SD slots. Use the third slot.
    2. If there is already a SD card in slot 2, it might be a JAVA card. Before removing it, be sure to stop the JAVA function in User Tools. If you do not, you run the risk of damaging both the JAVA SD card and the controller board by turning the machine off, removing the JAVA SD card, and then turningthe machine back on with the doors closed.
    3. The size of SD card that you can use is dependent on how old the MFP is. Cards larger than 1GB will not work on some machines and will throw a service code when the machine is turned on.
    4. In addition to disconnecting the network cable, use should also disconnect the FAX line if there is one.

You might want to obtain a service manual for one of the newer models you work on as it will cover the use of SD cards both for firmware updates and for address book and NVRAM backups.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

I would add that I format the sd card before starting to load it, with the Panasonic sd format utility not windows format utility. That way I know the card is clean when I start.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    I would add that I format the sd card before starting to load it, with the Panasonic sd format utility not windows format utility. That way I know the card is clean when I start.
    For those with access, that Panasonic SD format utility is hosted on Ricoh's TSC web. I would only recommend formatting it when having problems, as excessive formatting will wear out a card faster.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    For those with access, that Panasonic SD format utility is hosted on Ricoh's TSC web. I would only recommend formatting it when having problems, as excessive formatting will wear out a card faster.
    I only format when after deleting the romdata I get a write error trying to load the new firmware to the card. I had a card that for about three weeks kept telling me that it was write protected, then suddenly started working again.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwin206 View Post
    Hi,
    I am firmarly trained at AFICIO 1035/2035 units with PCMCIA service cards.Now I have many AFICIO MP series units in field. Although I have arranged firmware files but I have no adequate knowledge to update the firmware and other issues.Unfortunately no training session is available here.Would someone senior guide me briefly about the procedures to update firmwares of MP series machines.
    regards
    I remember the PCMCIA cards. I have a couple around the shop somewhere. Of course if I found them I still wouldn't be able to use them. The PCMCIA slot on my old laptop quit working and neither of my newer laptops have PCMCIA slots.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I remember the PCMCIA cards. I have a couple around the shop somewhere. Of course if I found them I still wouldn't be able to use them. The PCMCIA slot on my old laptop quit working and neither of my newer laptops have PCMCIA slots.
    To use them would require you to get MCE reader to work on the newer PC. LOL................................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

I should have assumed this would lead to a PM asking for firmware... Ask and ye shan't receive.