Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Ricoh Aficio 2045 misfeeding

On this copier the paper is misfeeding and stopping as it goes into the switchback assembly and is kind of folding there. I pulled out the assembly and I believe the nylon rollers are giving me the problem. However, I wanted to ask and see if anyone else has had this problem and can confirm or deny that the rollers are indeed the source. Also the problem is worse when the copies are ran through 11x 8.5. Thank you for any help given.

Technician

Re: Ricoh Aficio 2045 misfeeding

You want to make sure that the gates are not sticking in thier rest position. On these model machines the stops that the gates rest against have little pads to help keep things quiet when they open and close, those pads start to get gummy and cause the gates to stick, which in turn causes duplex jams.You can just remove them and it will work fine if that is the problem you are having.
    It is a very common problem on this series of machine.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
    You want to make sure that the gates are not sticking in thier rest position. On these model machines the stops that the gates rest against have little pads to help keep things quiet when they open and close, those pads start to get gummy and cause the gates to stick, which in turn causes duplex jams.You can just remove them and it will work fine if that is the problem you are having.
    It is a very common problem on this series of machine.
    Good call Drummer! The pads on the solenoids are exactly what's causing this. They sort of melt from the heat of the fuser I guess.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Good call Drummer! The pads on the solenoids are exactly what's causing this. They sort of melt from the heat of the fuser I guess.
    They also deteriate from age and the crude in the air.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    They also deteriate from age and the crude in the air.
    Just like me

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: Ricoh Aficio 2045 misfeeding

tcopy - If you'd like a FREE copy of the parts and service manual, send me an email to paul@justmanuals.com and tell me who you are, and I'll send it along at no charge.

Paul

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Yes, I can understand that problem if I was duplexing when the problem occurs but I'm just running the copies straight through, single side. So what else could be causing this problem?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

More than likely it's those pads sticking. This used to drive us crazy when you'd get a call for duplex jams first thing in the morning and by the time you got there it was working fine since the gates had been in use enough to not stick. We used to call it 'morning sickness' back in Lanier days. Clean the exit junction gates for the inverter and remove the goop that's probably left of the foam and the adhesive for them and you'll be good to go.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    Yes, I can understand that problem if I was duplexing when the problem occurs but I'm just running the copies straight through, single side. So what else could be causing this problem?
    You dont necessarily have to be duplexing for these to cause an issue (especially if there is a 1 bin tray installed) ,although it is very apparent when duplexing. There is 2 sets of gates in that section that could be causing your issue.
    After you've done a few it takes less than 10 minutes to remove them, If it doesent solve your issue, at least you have eliminated that as a possible problem.
    Good luck

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    You might check the gates that direct the paper either to the output tray or the duplex unit to make sure one of the fins isn't broken off, causing the paper to crash into the stub that remains (if that's the case, just file the corners off the stub and you'll be OK for the time for the time it takes to get a new gate to install).

Although, that should be easy to see because the lead edge of the jammed piece of paper will have a distinct dent where the broken fin is, so maybe not.

I guess there could be a burr on one of the gate's fins where the lead edge of the paper first contacts it, but that would also usually leave a dent in the lead edge of any paper jammed in that area.

If you have the scanner off the machine anyway, there's a three wire wiring harness that ends in a red male to male connector that you'll see. Make sure the wires aren't in contact with any rollers. If they are, it will intermittently short out 5V, causing all manner of stupid and wrong things to happen.