Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh mpc 2ooo fuser noise

Hi All and is there a way to quite the chatter in a Ricoh MPC 2000, is there fuser bearing and all generic fuser parts available for this machine. I would have thought after all the models they would get this right.
    thanks in advance.
    Bill

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh mpc 2ooo fuser noise

Quote Originally Posted by kmtech View Post
    Hi All and is there a way to quite the chatter in a Ricoh MPC 2000, is there fuser bearing and all generic fuser parts available for this machine. I would have thought after all the models they would get this right.
    thanks in advance.
    Bill
    If there was a so-called 'fix" to the problem you're describing, I doubt that it would involve rebuilding the fuser entirely with Generic parts.
    I don't know exactly what the 'chatter' is you're referring to. I do know that if you rebuild it properly, it won't be an issue.
    I don't know where you can by generic fuser rollers, etc., nor would I ever consider using them.

(Or you may be referring to noise that happens when the exit rollers become warped and bind on the frame)
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 10-24-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Take the bearings off the hot roller, apply high temp grease to the ends of the hot roller, and then reassemble the fuser. As long as the coating in the hot roller is in good shape, you don't even need to replace it.
    Thanks to the heat and pressure in the fuser, sometimes the roller will turn faster than the inner race of the bearing, causing all manner of noises unless it is lubed properly. That actually is the usual suspect for fuser noises for a lot of machines.
    Make sure you use actual high temp grease though, otherwise you will stink up the office the machine is in, and you will be righteously blamed for that.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 10-24-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

If you get toner build-up on the pawls, this can (and does) cause a high pitch squeak and/or squeal noise. Try cleaning or replacing them.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    If there was a so-called 'fix" to the problem you're describing, I doubt that it would involve rebuilding the fuser entirely with Generic parts.
    I don't know exactly what the 'chatter' is you're referring to. I do know that if you rebuild it properly, it won't be an issue.
    I don't know where you can by generic fuser rollers, etc., nor would I ever consider using them.

(Or you may be referring to noise that happens when the exit rollers become warped and bind on the frame)
    I think the noise i am referring to is a noise that any one that has been around ricoh for any length of service time knows,
    I and a lot of others have used generic part on copiers when money is slim. I know big shots that work for other people and dont have the parts money come directly out of their pockets talk like you. i done more fuser builds than you could imagine with oem and plenty of generic parts and after you wouldnt know for years. so try to be a bit more understanding. PA

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Take the bearings off the hot roller, apply high temp grease to the ends of the hot roller, and then reassemble the fuser. As long as the coating in the hot roller is in good shape, you don't even need to replace it.
    Thanks to the heat and pressure in the fuser, sometimes the roller will turn faster than the inner race of the bearing, causing all manner of noises unless it is lubed properly. That actually is the usual suspect for fuser noises for a lot of machines.
    Make sure you use actual high temp grease though, otherwise you will stink up the office the machine is in, and you will be righteously blamed for that.

Thanks for the advice, i will take it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    If you get toner build-up on the pawls, this can (and does) cause a high pitch squeak and/or squeal noise. Try cleaning or replacing them.

its more like a chatter like noise, that a fuser rebuild would fix in the past, this is y the question about generic parts, the total fuser is far to expensive. thanks for the time.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kmtech View Post
    thanks in advance.
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    If by chattering noise you mean something like the noise an old percolator would make when brewing coffee, then Iowatech is absolutely correct. It is a age old problem with ball bearings in fusing units. If you follow the instructions in the SM it tells you to apply grease. Ricoh recommends and sells Barrierta JFE55. It is rather pricey. Try searching for a extreme high temperature grease similar to Dow Corning Molykote or Dupont Krytox. You should be able to get a tube for less than half what Ricoh wants.

Another thing I do is pack the bearings with silicon compound. This extends the life of the bearings.