Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ricoh GX7700 Powers on then shuts off immediately

This printer sat unused for some time. cartridges expired. Not sure if that is related but been told it may be. Can something be done to get it up and running again. i.e. replace mobo or printheads? Or is it toast.

Thanks.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Ricoh GX7700 Powers on then shuts off immediately

I'm not trained on that machine, but if you'll take some general purpose advice I'd say you probably have a problem related to the 24 V supply, possibly a motor could be locked up, or there might be a short somewhere. Either one will overload the 24 V supply during initialization, which could cause a safety circuit to shut the machine off to prevent further damage.
    I guess it could be the 5 V supply. And maybe the 12 V supplies, too, if that machine has them. I've just seen more problems be related to the 24 V supply.
    Kind of makes sense too if the machine was unused for some time. Bushings seize up, ink dries up and interferes with moving parts. And, depending on the environment the machine was stored in, "critters" might have lived inside the machine and done things there.
    Well, good luck. Hopefully people with more experience will show up soon.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh GX7700 Powers on then shuts off immediately

Like Iowatech, I am not familar with this machine. One thing that I usually do is to power the machine up with the front door open. If it still does the same thing, then it is most likely the 5 volt that overloading. If it comwes up, then start disconnecting motors until you find the one that when disconnected will alllow the machine to come up without shutting back down. Last time I used this method ,it was a bad paper relay motor for tray 1 on a Pro1357EX. As soon as the machine turned on that motor, it shutdown. I had to swap motors between trays 1 & 3 to allow the use of trays 1 & 2 until I got a new motor.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Has it been running dye sublimination ink? Sawgrass ink dissolves the contact plates in the print heads and causes the same fault. They were replacing the printers FOC at one point.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akewldewd View Post
    This printer sat unused for some time. cartridges expired. Not sure if that is related but been told it may be. Can something be done to get it up and running again. i.e. replace mobo or printheads? Or is it toast.

Thanks.
    If it's been sitting for awhile, it may just be that the ink scraper in the maintenance unit has become stuck with congealed ink. Try freeing it, or replace the maintenance unit.