Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 5500 with dead web motor

Re: MP 5500 with dead web motor

I've never had all that much problem with the web drive gears breaking, but when I do it's usually just from long exposure to heat. The hot roller drive gear on that series is another story, and that's just inappropriate use of a plastic gear combined with a pressure roller extremely prone to flat spots (even with the pressure release assembly)
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

I was inspecting the faulty board today on service.
    I mounted it on one machine and I opened another machine for comparing.
    Used osciloscope to measure voltages on pins at and around the toshiba chip,allso I measured the wires connecting bcu and web motor with a help of Point to point scheme.
    The working BCU board gave me a clear picture what pins give those 5 volts and once I measured the broken one I found out that it's not Toshiba chip to blame but a little SMD element that I can't even read the marking,looks like Triac or Thyristor.
    This means that I can't fix the board it self,don't have the tools to unsolder SMD electronics,I'll swap BCU board.
    I'm still not shure what owerloaded that element,we have machines on maintenance with far worse web asselmblys than this one,in terrible condition and yet those work fine with BCU boards intact.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to sevice bulitens about the matter (if there is any) to get more info,instead of this "reinventing of the hot water"
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Herostrat View Post
    I found out that it's not Toshiba chip to blame but a little SMD element that I can't even read the marking,looks like Triac or Thyristor.
    Both of which are A/C components. More likely just a transistor - If you're that hard up to be doing your own component level reparis you could probably clip it out and hotwire a 2N2222 or 2N3904 (PNP vs. NPN) in its place if you're careful to figure out the EBC connections.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

I talked with some tech's and they all agreed that board shuld be replaced and one told me that repairing on component level destroys the board,he showed me the board he took to electronics workshop...it was 2 transistors in his case and BCU board blew up after replacement.
    I have some basic knowledge in electronics and 2 BCU boards I can play with,I actualy have those transistors at home...I'll give it a shot just to try it,no harm will be done even if those blow up because boards are already replaced on machines.
    Thanks for replies guys.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Without being able to read the numbers off of it, there's no way to tell if it's a PNP or NPN transistor - and it could be a FET or darlington pair, or some other crazy component - If you can read one of the other ones I'm betting it's the same as all the other similar components on the board, if they're using small switching transistors then why would they use a bunch of different ones unless some circuits had higher current requirements. The 2222 and 3904 are the most common switching transistors in use and they're pretty cheap, so if it blows smoke you haven't lost much
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Isnt there a TSB from long ago to route the web motor wires behind the bracket otherwise they get pinched and short it out. I have only had a few go out but any machine that is new to my eyes i usually check this when ever i have the fuser cover off.