Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

MP 5500 with dead web motor

I have 3 MP's with this problem on maintenance.
    After a while the gears in web assembly wear out and brake jaming the web motor,or something else gives much tension to web motor causing it to stop.
    Now in any case BCU board gets busted,doesn't generate any SC but motor can't work,I tryed motor on other machine,turned it on with SP5804-055 and it was working fine,I swaped BCU boards to test it and realised that BCU is to blame.
    Looking at Point to point it seems that web motor is operated with Toshiba Driver chips TD62308...wery dificult to find...and to unsolder from board.
    I'm wondering if anyone encountered this on MP series and is it actualy worth the trouble,is there way to prevent this?
    Oh ye 551 series oil roller solution is out of the question...I'm simply not going that way.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP 5500 with dead web motor

I've had many times more web motors go bad than boards - just because the motor worked in another machine doesn't mean that it's good. Those motors are infamous for developing "dead spots" and it only takes a small bump to turn it away from the dead area. Given the cost of that motor I would highly recommend replacing it just to make sure there's not some sort of defect that took out the board.

Having said that, I have had to replace a few boards - it takes special equipment to properly repair surface mount boards, so we don't bother and just ship them off to Hytec or some such repair service.

Only one of the boards failed with no explanation - the rest were a result of a shorted harness. The leads from the motor can easily become pinched when the front cover is tightened back down on the fuser/exit drawer. I always reroute the wires from the motor on the inside of the motor/gear/drag assembly to make sure that can't happen.
    73 DE W5SSJ

I tryed another motor from working web assy,and he didn't work on faulty machine/board.
    Perhaps I overlooked some flaw in harnes,but thanks for advice.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It's the harness attached to the web motor itself that gets pinched. You probably would have seen it when you pulled the motor out. Not saying there's not a pinch somewhere else, but on the motor is where I ususally see it.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    It's the harness attached to the web motor itself that gets pinched. You probably would have seen it when you pulled the motor out. Not saying there's not a pinch somewhere else, but on the motor is where I ususally see it.
    I've seen these pinched before, usually by the front fuser cover. I've not had a motor take a board out on these, but I have replaced plenty of motors.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    I have also had trouble with that harness. I have not had one take out a board, yet. I have had them rub against the screw head that is near it and short out the signal from the web sensor. Replaced the web and a couple of days later, got a SC 550, web end. Went back out. Noticed the harness. Repositioned the harness and no more codes.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

All valid points regarding the pinched wires, never had anything web related take out the BCU though. The 1 thing I didn't see listed is that little tiny motor is weak and gets toasted by the heat, and it just plain fails !!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

i made a kind of "Web Motor Tester" by myself.....some batteries and the right connector, just to see without any sp if the motor works.....i use it very often

I looked in to one machine that has dead web engine today,and harnes is perfect.
    I went further to inspect entire fuser wiring and at the back leading to BCU board,everything is in order,even web assy gears are tip top.
    I'll give it a shoot with changing Toshiba chip and post update.

Technician

You may want to check the orange foam roller in the web assy.
    Most of the time when I had a web motor go bad or break the gears in the web assy. the orange roller was to blame.
    They develop flat spots on them just big enough so that when it stops in the right position ( flat spot against the heat roller ) the web motor doesnt have enough ummmph to get past it and ends up killing the motor.
    It is when the motor is dead or the flat spot holds it up, that the web does not move anymore causing the web to build up with toner, in turn the web starts (bouncing or jerking) against the heat roller and that is what usually breaks the gears.