Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    snowgoose

"Please Wait" SC672, SC819, Savin 4022

Savin 4022 Super G3, displays near continuous "Please Wait" at power up.
    I understand this unit is the equivalent to the Ricoh AFCIO 2022 and I am using a downloaded service manual for the Ricoh. (I worked on Xerox products for 23 years, but know very little about Savin/Ricoh.)

The unit normally displays just the "Please Wait" for over 15-30 minutes, but one time out of about 8 power on s, it quickly displayed the red, "call service wrench" and SC672. Last week it displayed SC819 once when it would not boot.

The manual describes a service loop back tool #G021119350 that attaches to a Centronics port on the controller board and appears to give a detailed self-diagnostic report at power-on. Is this tool likely to help establish a pattern of SCs? Does anyone know the pin-outs for this loop-back tool? I can come up the centronics connector to make the tool.

I have observed LED 1 and 2 on the controller board at power on. I get the quick blinking that seems to indicate data transfer, but after that I get LED 1 in a slow red blink, and LED 2 off. The service manual indicates that this is abnormal. I have not found LED 3, but assume any illuminated LED light indicates 5 VDC to the controller.

If I get no other direction on this site, I will try to check output DC from the power supply, and reseat all connectors on the controller and perhaps other boards.

Any other ideas?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    A 'please wait' hang at boot normally means the harddrive has failed.

SC672 and SC819 should disappear when that's replaced as it's linked to the failure.
    If either of those SC codes do come back update the firmware as well.
    Last edited by Cipher; 03-05-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Have seen this problem several times. For me, problem has always been bad hard drive. (However, could be bad controller.)

Unplug hard drive to see if machine will work. If copier works ok (ignore address book error message), replace hard drive.

Regards

snowgoose

Hard Drive Questions

Thanks to DaZ and Star for the quick reply!

I will try the unplugged HD idea as a test. That is, if I can find it.

Unfortunately, I have no parts list or software or firmware for this Savin machine, and no other support except the Internet. I am a retired Xerox Customer Engineer trying to help a friend with this problem.

I also am CompTIA A+ certified and have changed several HD in PCs and Xerox Electronic Printing Systems, but know nothing about the HD in this Savin. Is it a PC type HD? Does it require formating and or software to be reloaded? Could someone tell me where the HD is located in the machine?

I have been able to get into the machine's diagnostics software area before, so if any of the HD setup routines are in that area I might be able to do the format or other setup routine.

Does anyone have a parts manual for this machine that they can email to me?

Thanks!

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    It's uses a standard 2.5" IDE harddrive. (Anything over 20Gb should be fine).
    It will be alot cheaper to buy one at your local computer shop or online.

SP5832 HDD format (cycle the power off and on after completed)
    SP5853 Preset stamp data download.

No additional software is required.
    But the address book will be empty so you may need to re-add any missing user information. (scan to email users etc).
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    yes it`s the hdd, had it happen many times. laptop hdd.

remove back cover sits in controller can`t miss it. you can try formatting it but better to replace.

snowgoose

It Was the Hard Drive

Thanks to all!

Replaced the HDD, performed SP5832 and SP5853.

All seems well.

Can one not format the drive on a pc. If this is possible, as what do you format it? FAT NTFS?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    The hard drive is formatted in a proprietary format. You cannot format the drive from a PC, or load the drive into a PC and see its contents.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I have formated a few of them in my laptop!
    (ntfs) Even loaded with windows!
    didn't have any proplems.