Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh 3030 with no toner in Type 1027 PCU...

Ok here we go...

On going issue: No toner in Type 1027 PCU

Machine: Ricoh MP 3030
    Copies: 625K
    Last call: May 2013
    Reason: Grit (developer on copies)
    Parts replaced: New type 1027 pcu, new toner hopper assy., new transfer roller, new OEM toner.
    Results: NO call or complaints for 6 months.

Current call: Grit on copies, toner on hopper side of pcu, after inspection no toner found in PCU looking down toner entrance slot.
    Also no "call for toner" from machine (thinks PCU is full OR is sending signal for toner but none is added(I'm in doubt of this second theory).
    Checked toner hopper motor and when tested ran for 5-6 seconds then stopped and ran again when requested(not sure if this is the duration of the test or the actual problem).
    The toner bottle was half full when inspected today.

This machine runs very little for 8 months of the year and gets hammered from Jan. 1 through April 15th (100K a month sometimes).

I vacuumed out the machine today installed a new PCU and toner then tested to see what the baseline would be.
    After allowing the PCU to setup I pulled it and shined a light down the toner entrance hole and there was no toner visible.
    So I then did a force toner supply to see if bottle turned during procedure...it did not, when prompted to start "force toner" machine said it was finished immediately (with toner bottle never turning).
    Next I ran toner bottle motor check and it turned (as described above), I then checked the condition of the PCU and it finally had some toner showing in entrance, enough that it was half full of toner.

So...
    When in normal modes I am not getting toner into PCU. Not seeing toner bottle move except in tech mode, machine is not asking for toner, yet runs like it's full of toner(but it's not) sending developer through machine all the way to the exit tray on the finisher.

Please any expert help would be greatly appreciated.
    I need to get this one up and running quick...tax season coming very soon!
    Oh yeah, these folks are pain in the butt customers that are a 75 mile drive one way.(just my luck)

Thanks for your time...
    Jeff D.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Ricoh 3030 with no toner in Type 1027 PCU...

Maybe check the drum ground? Haven't seen that in a while, but it kind of sounds like what is happening.
    While your at it, you might also check the developer drive. If it isn't turning there is probably enough toner over the sensor, but nowhere near enough on the developer roller.
    Just for grins, you might make sure that the machine is level to spec. I don't think that's the problem, but there's still a chance it could be.
    Make sure that the developer bias and charge settings are set to spec before you put a new PCU in the machine, and the ID sensor is clean too.
    That drive distance stinks this time of year, drive safely.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I didn't see it mentioned but you are running dev initialization after installing a new pcu, right?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

If the pcu is new and it initialized succesfully, and you ran the toner motor and the bottle turned, and you saw toner in the hole then i would say first the bottle motor works, the hole is not clogged, and the pcu should be ok. My first step at this point would be unhook network/fax cables so nothing prints, turn the machine off completly then reboot, then go into sp mode and try the force toner. I have had a few machines where once you play around or run dev initialize or if it had a no toner msg trying to get force toner to go will result in Failed or completed without actually doing anything. I usually reboot when stuff like that happens.

If the pcu is new then the TD sensor should be working and the auger / gears should be in good shape. Like it was said above make sure the contacts are clean at rear, and the xfer roller contacts are good. You may have already done this and it sounds dumb sometimes but rebooting sometimes fixes the strangest of things.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have had the development drive coupler fall off while installing the PCU. Found it below the PCU. I have also had the machine side coupler break.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

If the machine as done over 100k since the last visit then change the PCU assembly and don't forget to initialize the dev.

100k a month is overused for the size of machine btw.

Also the NEW pcu comes with some toner in it don't expect the machine to add toner straight away.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Standing in front of the machine as I type this.
    Did a full power down, let it sit for a few minutes and rebooted.
    Then tried a force toner and it says completed within a half second or so.
    Toner bottle never moves.

Yesterday I replaced the PCU with a fresh new OEM PCU. Also a new toner type 2120d oem.
    When the machine is running during tax season I usually am on site 2 times a week to make sure things are running right. Changing PCU's as needed as well as anything else it needs.

I wonder if doing a Memory all clear would help?
    And how much of the setup (print setup, ip settings, scan settings) would be lost to an all clear. The only reason I'm thinking about doing this is a few years ago I had a 2035 with toner issues and it fix it up. I'm nervous about the after effect of an all clear and want it to be a last resort type thing.

Help if you can, ideas and thoughts are welcomed at this point.

Thanks
    Jeff

Technician

I would not concern yourself with the force toner not working for you, depending on what the VREF (among other things) is at, if the machine does not need any toner it will not try to force it.
    You stated that the bottle motor runs in sp, so we should be able to assume all is good with that.
    I have seen the ( chuck ) on the toner motor shaft stick back when a toner was put in before, causing it to not drive the bottle.
    Push the white plastic part on the bottle motor back and see if it sticks back., just something else to check.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The toner bottle turns ok when doing the test of the toner motor.
    And the toner hopper assy. is new and spinning freely.

Jeff

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Standing in front of the machine as I type this.
    Did a full power down, let it sit for a few minutes and rebooted.
    Then tried a force toner and it says completed within a half second or so.
    Toner bottle never moves.

Yesterday I replaced the PCU with a fresh new OEM PCU. Also a new toner type 2120d oem.
    When the machine is running during tax season I usually am on site 2 times a week to make sure things are running right. Changing PCU's as needed as well as anything else it needs.

I wonder if doing a Memory all clear would help?
    And how much of the setup (print setup, ip settings, scan settings) would be lost to an all clear. The only reason I'm thinking about doing this is a few years ago I had a 2035 with toner issues and it fix it up. I'm nervous about the after effect of an all clear and want it to be a last resort type thing.

Help if you can, ideas and thoughts are welcomed at this point.

Thanks
    Jeff
    I'm pretty sure a Memory Clear won't solve it. It will only make things worse. All settings, including TD-sensor values, voltages, and a lot of other settings will return to default. If you want to do a memory Clear, which I wouldn't do, make sure to backup the NVRAM contents, so you can reload them afterwards.

You mentioned that you saw no toner in the PCU. If the bottle is turning, next thinkg to check is the hopper unit. Take it apart and remove all toner in there (and yes, it's a dirty job)....

And as far as I know, the AF3030 uses Type 2220D toner.