Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Question AF 2018 Fax quirk

I've got an insurance company customer who every now and then gets their RX and TX faxes printed sideways. All faxes were sent in memory TX mode, paper in the trays is correctly set for LTR LEF but the image will be printed and reduced to fit SEF.
    The same happens every now and then for outgoing as well. The confirmation page preview will clearly show the image sideways.
    I've turned off ECM and thinking of re-loading firmware but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this come up...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    AF 2018 Fax quirk

Which is it Tx rotated or Rx rotated? They are two different problems. But the sender is usually the problem.

This problem is very common on the Sharp Tiger & Jupiter machines. On the SPF the original tray length sensor is gravity counterweighted, and they are usually slightly too light. The effect is that the original is detected as ledger size, then reduced and rotated to fax.

Also if a stack of originals is left on the end of the original tray when the SPF is being used the same effect results.

So what it comes down to is, are Tx rotated or Rx rotated? Both is unlikely.

=^..^=

Smile

On your advice, I double checked with a different person in the office and TX are the affected faxes. I will let the customer know what may be going on. Is there any mod that you know of for the length sensor?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    AF 2018 Fax quirk

They were AF1018s when I worked on them, but its been ages since I've seen one. On the Sharp the sensor flag was counterweighted with a 4mm x 12mm coarse thread screw. I removed that screw an replaced it with two 4mm x 10mm screws to increase the amount of counterweight.

I don't recall what kind of length sensor the Ricoh uses.

=^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    I had this on an Ricoh MFD. Found it to be the customer would normally tx stuff on memory transmit and occasionally someone would use manual tx.
    The machine will auto rotate on memory tx, but on manual tx it wont and assumes it is a large original and reduces it even if you have set the original paper size.
    When they realised i had no more calls for reduced faxes.

Everything sideways was sent in memory TX. I went back today and found the problem: the main user would send all of their faxes towards the end of the day and as they sent them, they would pile some of them onto the edge of the feeder, blocking the last length sensor making the fax think the original was DLT.
    Thanks for your help...