Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

MP 6002 SC550 Unable to enter Service Mode

Hi everyone.

I'm working on an Aficio MP 6002 with an SC550 error code, which I know to be a fusing web end condition. I've got two problems with this particular error.

Problem #1 is that there is still plenty of fusing web left - it looks like it is about 1/5 used with the majority of the roll unused. I cleaned the web end sensor and checked all the connectors on the web unit. I haven't replaced the web end sensor or anything else yet. My next line of reasoning was to go into the service mode and check the value of SP1902-001 and see if resetting the code would result in the code actually resetting or if it would come back. Which leads me to...

Problem #2 I can't enter the service mode. I'm using the time honored "reset" 107 "stop" (hold for 5 seconds). But to no avail. This is the only MP 6002 that I have out in the field (I work for a small independent shop) and I noticed that the control panel is slightly changed from the older Aficio 2060 etc. I've tried various combinations of "energy saver/reset/clear", 107, "clear/stop/reset" with no luck. Has the procedure to enter service mode changed? I'm a bit stumped here.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide - either in ideas on the false SC550 or on any potential problems getting into the service mode.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: MP 6002 SC550 Unable to enter Service Mode

entering service mode requires (Yellow) Clear--->107--->C (not the red stop but C)
    Sp1902 is probably over target...

a bit strange you're not familiar how to enter sp mode...

Technician

Hi Vollegaaz,

Thanks for the response. This is the first MP 6002 I've had the occasion to service, and as such I wasn't sure if the procedure had changed. Good to know that it did change slightly. I'm fairly certain I tried "reset" (the yellow button is "reset), 107, "clear" (rather than "stop") - but I'll double check just in case. If it doesn't work then I'm starting to suspect a problem with one of the buttons on the control panel in addition to the SC550.

I'll let you know what I find.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

well, could be that "Service mode lock" is enabled, in that case the service mode is locked for security reasons, in that case you will have to ask the machine administrator to disable this function temporarily to acces the sp mode service...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Vollegaaz View Post
    well, could be that "Service mode lock" is enabled, in that case the service mode is locked for security reasons, in that case you will have to ask the machine administrator to disable this function temporarily to acces the sp mode service...
    Good thought, but it turned out to be something different. Here is what happened. The fuser web count was high (not sure how that happened) and I needed to reset it, of course now it will be out of synch with the web but this will be remedied the next time I replace the web and reset the value of SP1902-001. The reason I couldn't get into the service mode is that I initially tried pressing reset, 107, STOP - rather that reset, 107, CLEAR.

This confusion was compounded by an interesting quirk of this machine. On this model pressing stop brings up the window "Print jobs which could be stopped have been suspended...". No problem normally but if you also have a service code, the stop window appears in the background behind the window displaying the service code. And it seems that once this window appears, if there is also a service code, there is no way to clear the "stop window" and it freezes the interface with the machine and any subsequent button presses do not work. So if, like me, you are accustomed to pressing yellow button, 107, red/orange button to clear a fuser error - you will not be able to enter the service mode even if you try the correct sequence afterwards. Instead you will just get a long beep. Fun.

Just thought I'd post the info here in case anyone else runs into the same difficulty. It will only get you once but that first time is frustrating.

Anyways thanks for your help! That got me going.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 6002 SC550 Unable to enter Service Mode

Once you have cleared SP1902-001 to 0 and rebooted, you can go back in and set SP1902-001 to what you think is the amount of web already used. If the code comes back, check to see if the wire harness for the web unit is not rubbing against the fuser frame. I have had the wires rubbing against a screw head the the bottom front of the fuser frame cause it t code.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zia Graphy View Post
    Good thought, but it turned out to be something different. Here is what happened. The fuser web count was high (not sure how that happened) and I needed to reset it, of course now it will be out of synch with the web but this will be remedied the next time I replace the web and reset the value of SP1902-001. The reason I couldn't get into the service mode is that I initially tried pressing reset, 107, STOP - rather that reset, 107, CLEAR.

This confusion was compounded by an interesting quirk of this machine. On this model pressing stop brings up the window "Print jobs which could be stopped have been suspended...". No problem normally but if you also have a service code, the stop window appears in the background behind the window displaying the service code. And it seems that once this window appears, if there is also a service code, there is no way to clear the "stop window" and it freezes the interface with the machine and any subsequent button presses do not work. So if, like me, you are accustomed to pressing yellow button, 107, red/orange button to clear a fuser error - you will not be able to enter the service mode even if you try the correct sequence afterwards. Instead you will just get a long beep. Fun.

Just thought I'd post the info here in case anyone else runs into the same difficulty. It will only get you once but that first time is frustrating.

Anyways thanks for your help! That got me going.
    well, thats's not really strange, always boot-up with the network cable disconnected, so no job is pushing the print queue...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vollegaaz View Post
    well, thats's not really strange, always boot-up with the network cable disconnected, so no job is pushing the print queue...

actually i am pretty sure even if there is no print job and you hit the stop button you get the pop up saying print job suspended or something with a cancel or continue, I still have the habbit sometimes of hitting the 107 red stop on these, if you hit the continue or whatever to clear the printer job message you can then enter yellow 107 C. Which isnt really that new most of the 90ppm models had a C button to use instead of the stop button, they just now have done it to all the new models, hard to break old habbits sometimes.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

make sure you fit the correct web roll as its not the same as the mp6000-8000 ones and fitting the 8000 one gives a early sc550 with no near end warning.

the new ones for the 6001 and 6002 are a brownish colour AE04 5069

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    make sure you fit the correct web roll as its not the same as the mp6000-8000 ones and fitting the 8000 one gives a early sc550 with no near end warning.

the new ones for the 6001 and 6002 are a brownish colour AE04 5069
    If you do have to fit the wrong one, ensure you change the web length, I can't remember the actual, physical length, but if you fit B1404181, then change length to option 1, that should, with any luck, avoid SC550 with no web low warning
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't