Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 1035 SC 301

Ricoh Aficio 1035 SC 301

A Ricoh Aficio 1055... (I miss-typed)This copier was working fine and suddenly it started throwing SC 301 codes. When it does copy it has a dark background. Checked the charge wire and connection and looks ok. Thinking I should change the Charge power pack. Anyone seen this before ? Any help is very appreciated...
    Last edited by Doug James; 02-25-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 1035 SC 301

Re: Ricoh Aficio 1035 SC 301

First of all, I'm not sure what "charge wire" and connection you checked. If you actually have corona wires in the machine that would explain the problem
    Also, do you mean SC302? because I have no SC301 listed anywhere.
    If so, I'd still lean toward some issue with the Drum unit: PCR shorting out, bad ground at the rear, etc. Have you tried another drum unit?
    Otherwise, replace HVU.
    But really the best thing for it, would be to BURY it deep in the ground

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 1035 SC 301

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    First of all, I'm not sure what "charge wire" and connection you checked. If you actually have corona wires in the machine that would explain the problem
    Also, do you mean SC302? because I have no SC301 listed anywhere.
    If so, I'd still lean toward some issue with the Drum unit: PCR shorting out, bad ground at the rear, etc. Have you tried another drum unit?
    Otherwise, replace HVU.
    But really the best thing for it, would be to BURY it deep in the ground
    I misstyped, It's a Aficio 1055... I'm thinking change the charge powerpack...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 1035 SC 301

The primary things that can cause this:
    1. Bad charge power pack. If I remember correctly, this is located in the top of the PCU assembly
    2. Bad connector block at the back of the PCU that the charge corona connects to
    3. Bad charge corona unit. Micro cracks in the end blocks can cause leakage current to the corona shell

Your biggest problem is the age of this model. Many parts are no longer available.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

I would recommend before changing the power pack just replace the corona wire, grid, and cleaner and make sure the springs are out far enough to make good contact at the rear of the machine. Visually inspecting the wire and saying looks ok doesnt always suffice. Before I go replacing the power pack i would try the wire and grid replacement first its cheaper and less work, if it still codes after new wire then i would maybe try the power pack, but check the springs and connections and contact points.

I cant stress checking the spring that is hooked on the wire, i had a another tech 2 hours from my area call me in for back up after doing a pm and getting a 301, i pulled the corona housing from the pcu and the wire spring was only sticking out a little bit i gave it a stretch so it had about 1/4 of an inch poking out and problem solved.
    Last edited by Counsel; 02-25-2014 at 02:32 PM.