Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

"Please add toner"

I have been working on a MP 5001 with an intermittent "add toner" message. I swapped the toner hopper with another machine, with no change. Changed developer as it was called for by the pm count, and I figured it might help the add toner problem also. No joy. The drive gears on the dev. box are good and everything rotates as it should. What am I missing? Could it be a bad sensor in the bottom of the dev. box? Please help!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: "Please add toner"

Toner motor turning? Also, check the VSP and VSg readings and see if the machine actually is reading at a level that it should be calling for toner. I've mainly seen it with older machines, but I have had instances were an add toner prompt wouldn't clear without completely reflashing the firmware.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Intermittent add toner issues can be caused by the paddle mylars falling off the inside of the toner hopper, I know you said you changed it with another but there's nothing to say that one didn't suffer from the same fault. Are you using OEM toner / dev? Are you getting good readings from your ID and TD sensors?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Try to disconnect toner hopper sensor socket, close the door, if the message gone make a test page, if it's good so it might be that sensor problem

toner motor is off......