Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Ricoh MP3500 Fax Option

Can you increase the memory on the fax option of a Ricoh MP3500? My customer is trying to fax a 150 page document, but it'll end up stopping and telling them that there is insufficient memory. So they have to wait until the machine is ready to continue. They have tried reducing the amount of sheets they send but still it still tells them that there is insufficient memory. Thank you for any help given.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3500 Fax Option

Re: Ricoh MP3500 Fax Option

How about Scan to PC, and LanFax?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Sounds like the issue is more one of why in the world would you try to send a 150 page fax? Using memory transmission, the machine can only store so much data before it needs to clear out the buffer. Obviously, 150 pages is much more than the average fax so either a more efficient method of transmission is needed, LAN Fax, secure email, anything but relying on a POTS line.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3500 Fax Option

There is a memory expansion module. It increases memory available for memory transmission from 4MB to 28MB. Still, why would someone want to send a 150 page fax. The length of time to transmit makes room for all sorts of transmission errors.

I think the opinion is just going to be repeated here...a 150 page fax is doomed...hard to understand why ppl persist with faxing when scan to email is soooo much more civilized

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Isn't it something to do with the fact that a fax can still be classified as a legal document whereas a scan can't? Or did I just imagine that in my coffee fuelled morning read.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3500 Fax Option

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Isn't it something to do with the fact that a fax can still be classified as a legal document whereas a scan can't? Or did I just imagine that in my coffee fuelled morning read.
    Yes, but it shouldn't be. The legal thinking is that that the signature on a fax cannot be Photoshopped or cut and pasted. The truth is that the document can be altered prior faxing. Also, since almost all faxes are now plain paper, the received fax can be scanned and the signature cut and pasted from another scanned fax before reprinting.

Had the same problem 2 days ago with a MP3352. It is in a doctors clinic and they have dozens of outgoing faxes to other locations all at once, and some are 100 plus pages of LAN FAX; some of the faxes are going to pharmacies, other doctor's, clinics and the hospitables. The MP3500 uses the same Fax Memory Expansion Card as the AF3045 (001342MIU).

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3500 Fax Option

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Yes, but it shouldn't be. The legal thinking is that that the signature on a fax cannot be Photoshopped or cut and pasted. The truth is that the document can be altered prior faxing. Also, since almost all faxes are now plain paper, the received fax can be scanned and the signature cut and pasted from another scanned fax before reprinting.
    I'm FAR from an expert, but I think that in certain circumstances it has more to do with the possibility of viruses, and that not all mail servers use encryption, so they're susceptible to data interception.

I don't necessarily agree with that, but I believe it's generally government regulations that dictate how these documents have to be delivered, and homing pigeons are too costly to maintain, so it's not surprising.