Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: IP faxing

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

IP faxing

Hello all,
    I posted this thread in the fax section but didn't get a difinitive answer. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction on GFI Faxmaker? I have a cusotmer with an MP5001 with the fax option type 5001. It is a large bank and they removed an HP4555 MFP that was using GFI Faxmaker and replaced it with our MP5001 that was in another branch. The HP worked fine as I saw it recieving faxes. They have NO phone lines to connect t it, iether copper or VOIP. The IT guy is convinced there is an interface board that I need to supply for IP faxing. It's my understanding that there must be hard line connected to the fax port in order to do any kind of faxing, be it straight fax or LAN fax (with the LAN fax driver loaded obviously) All I can find on TSCWEB is a G3 interface unit or the regular Type 5001 fax board. NO clue where to go from here. I suppose I could call tech support but I figure real technicians can point me on the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    IP faxing

Re: IP faxing

"IP Faxing" is just another name for Scan-to-Email. Most email to fax services put the phone number as the recipient email address: for example, 18005551212@faxcenter.com

I don't know specifically of Ricoh, but there are some HP and Lexmark products that make it a little more seamless to operate for the enduser. On these specific machines you can pre-program the domain, i.e. '@faxcenter.com', and the machine prepends the phone number when you enter it. Also these specific machines allow pre-programming of an access code in the Title line of the email.

There are workarounds that allow this to work on any machine that can scan to email.
    1) Use addressbook entries to pre-program specific commonly used phone number/email addresses, i.e 18005551212@faxcenter.com
    2) Most MFP's have a way of programming the Title line of the email to include the access code.
    3) Set up scan to email just like you would ordinarily. Naturally you'll need authentication enabled to access outside your domain, including the fax server in our example: faxcenter.com

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    IP faxing

I would simply ask the customer to supply an ATA Adapter which takes the analogue signal from the fax and converts it to IP based communications.

Faxing via email is otherwise known as i-Faxing or Internet Faxing which requires the other end to be i-Fax enabled.

If the customer has a fax server which transfers all faxes to an email address, then simply setup the machine to download the "email" and print it.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

First, blackcat4866 and TheOwl probably have the best info here.
    But I'm curious if that place is using the LAN fax driver. It has been a while since I've had anything to do with LAN fax, but I seem to remember that was required for network fax functionality on Ricoh equipment.
    If you haven't tried it yet, the LAN fax driver can be found here:
    Manuals, Drivers, Software and Brochures Downloads | Ricoh-USA<

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    IP faxing

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    First, blackcat4866 and TheOwl probably have the best info here.
    But I'm curious if that place is using the LAN fax driver. It has been a while since I've had anything to do with LAN fax, but I seem to remember that was required for network fax functionality on Ricoh equipment.
    If you haven't tried it yet, the LAN fax driver can be found here:
    Manuals, Drivers, Software and Brochures Downloads | Ricoh-USA<
    I have setup LANfax on a number of customers. It installs as a print driver and uses the fax function of the MFP to send documents, spread sheets, etc as faxes without having to print them to paper first. Select it as the printer and when you click print, a screen pops up to allow you to enter fax number or select from an address book.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    IP faxing

As has been stated, IP faxing is scan to email, it uses some of the fax protocol but over a network. For instance you get a notification that the message was received.
    It has nothing to do with LAN FAX.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

LAN fax only works with a physical phone line, either hard copper or VOIP. They have NO phone lines. The IT guy at the customer sight says he called Ricoh and they told him he needs a G3 interface. I told him a G3 interface only gives you another fax line (up to three) but you still gotta have a phone line to plug into it. Am I wrong?

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    IP faxing

IP fax only needs a network. Lan fax needs a phone line They are two different animals

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+