Ricoh Aficio 2018 - Developer clings out to paper

Ricoh Developer problem.jpgHi,
    I notice that small quantity of developer was left inside the developing unit because on every copy some developer powder clings to the paper and out of the machine. The copies are all unreadable due to lightness.

I decided to replace the developer and the copies become clear but I notice that some developer are still clinging to the paper. Until it got worse over time....

I notice that a portion of the developer roller spits out the developer more. (Please see attachment). There is no SC code flashing on the display which means there is a mechanical type of problem inside the developing assembly... probably the Developer Roller or Magnetic roller problem.

I need a second opinion on this. Thanks.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Aficio 2018 - Developer clings out to paper

My guess would be a warped doctor blade. The doctor blade gap is probably wider at the area where the developer is being pulled out.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    My guess would be a warped doctor blade. The doctor blade gap is probably wider at the area where the developer is being pulled out.
    I removed and examined the doctor blade. It is robust to be warped by the rotation of the developer roller but I consider your analysis. I think the double adhesive between the doctor blade and plastic holder/mount deteriorate.

I will inform you after I fix this up. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I fixed the doctor blade back to the mount. I put some glue to hold it tight. The result is lesser developer powder escaped from the chamber. So again dismount the developer assembly and adjusted the doctor blade gap to the roller and tested it again. I don't have feeler gauge so I just assumed the gap is correct.

After the 3rd time of adjustment of doctor blade gap to the developer roller the copy is already clear. Now I will observe if the trouble will arise again after many many copies. Thanks for your analysis. It helps a lot.

Technician 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I fixed the doctor blade back to the mount. I put some glue to hold it tight. The result is lesser developer powder escaped from the chamber. So again dismount the developer assembly and adjusted the doctor blade gap to the roller and tested it again. I don't have feeler gauge so I just assumed the gap is correct.

After the 3rd time of adjustment of doctor blade gap to the developer roller the copy is already clear. Now I will observe if the trouble will arise again after many many copies. Thanks for your analysis. It helps a lot.
    How are the gears in the back of the developer unit? This model gets developer in the gears and strips the gears not allowing proper flow for augers.
    I am always replacing the developer unit frame and the developer idle and drive gears for this and other issues.
    Also make sure you are using correct developer powder as they are different per model type only some can be same type number with different grams of powder.

TYPE28 DEVELOPER 345GRAMS

Technician

Hi
    Is it Katun opc? hmmm....
    Did you removed the pick off pawl? It is no good ide!
    What kind of toner do you use?
    The toner concetration is veri poor, it cause the developer clinging.
    Is the printing quality good after the change the new developer?
    I have problem with td sensor which lokks like this.
    The machine not adding toner.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Compatible toner and developer can also drive the Kir model a bit senile. If you are running both OEM, it probably just needs a new PCU. I've never understood why they aren't a user fit unit.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There's a pretty good chance your discharge lamps are not coming on. When they don't the residual charge builds up and will pull developer (I've had this happen on a couple of occasions over the years). You should be able to cheat the front door and observe whether or not they come on.

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    There's a pretty good chance your discharge lamps are not coming on. When they don't the residual charge builds up and will pull developer (I've had this happen on a couple of occasions over the years). You should be able to cheat the front door and observe whether or not they come on.
    Yes, I consider that too. Right now the copy result is "A" ok. I also replaced the Charge Roller. Thanks for reminding me about the lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by duane@pbbsinc.com View Post
    How are the gears in the back of the developer unit? This model gets developer in the gears and strips the gears not allowing proper flow for augers.
    I am always replacing the developer unit frame and the developer idle and drive gears for this and other issues.
    Also make sure you are using correct developer powder as they are different per model type only some can be same type number with different grams of powder.

TYPE28 DEVELOPER 345GRAMS
    I've been using the Type 28 Developer for years. It just so happened that due to age, the Developer Assy and the Drum Assy both deteriorated. After the adjustment of the doctor blade the copy become clear, but the Developer previously made some noticeable damage to the Drum and the Charge Roller. I also replaced both Drum and Charge Roller after some time.

To those who have read this post, do examine the Charge Roller surface and notice if some lines appear in the copy @ "picture mode". This is the sign that Charge Roller needs replacement. Also clean the discharging lamps to prevent further damage. I'm satisfied with the copy now. The problem is solved.