Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MPC4503 and 5503 paper curling

Hey guys, Im seeing paper curling a lot on the new 03 range. So far the fix is to put on the modified paper exit trays so it stacks nicer - but it dosnt stop the paper curling.

Before anyone says its damp paper...its not. Fresh reams do it too, turned both ways around! Ive also played around with fuser temps with no fix, and updated firmware.

Its gotta be happening everywhere, anyone got any fixes?

Cheers.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MPC4503 and 5503 paper curling

Your profile does not show where you are from so we cannot know what the temperature and humidity is like there. It takes only a couple of hours for paper to pickup moisture. Usually shows as the first 8 to 10 sheets out of the paper tray in the morning coming out curled. I have had customers where the curl was enough that the paper rolled it self into about inch and a halt diameter tubes. Even "fresh reams" that have been stored where they are exposed to cold and/or humidity can absorb moisture, unless the wrapper provides a full moisture barrier. Try turning on the Anti-condensation heater SP5805.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Ricoh provides a tool to measure the amount of moisture in a ream of paper (unfortunately I don't know the part number..). It should be between 35-45%. I've measured 55% and higer in "fresh reams" of paper.

It isn't damp paper for these, it is a terrible paper exit path. They have additional small rollers to counter this but they are ineffective. It happens less with a bridge unit, but that could be an expensive solution.

Technician

we are seeing the same problem , and also on the new black and white 03 range as well , we have tried all sorts of fix's , "tweaking" the input guide on the finisher sometimes helps but not always .

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

Have a look at this bulletin, regarding feeder issues. Note the settings and talk re paper curl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetboy View Post
    Have a look at this bulletin, regarding feeder issues. Note the settings and talk re paper curl.
    We must get different bulletins from you guys...havnt seen that one. Im gonna give those SP's a go, cant hurt. Will update with the results!

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Good morning everyone.
    I have been having the same problems. And now that winter is here, major problems will arise. I have hundreds of equipment Metis series.
    The suggestion to activate the SP 5805 applies only in the case of equipment that have the "Anti-Condensation Heater". If you do not have this option enable this SP is useless.
    The equipment installed in the south of Europe "Anti-Condensation Heater" is optional.
    I agree that this is one of the solutions to the problem, however a change in the output paper tray decreasing the drop of the paper will be less expensive

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Since 2 or 3 month, all new delivered METIS are equiped with a new "springbased" paperexit-plate.
    If the paper is not to "crapy" itīseems to me, that the problem is solved.
    Greetings...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirty toner monkey 50+ Posts

I had a similar problem on a MPC 4503. Paper was curling and jamming all the time, I spoke to Ricoh technical and they said its to do with the "Green" fuser technology. However. I have updated the firmware in a number of these machines with Firmware dating from around July this year, and it has pretty much stopped any curling issues.

Depending on when you updated the firmware, I would emphasise the need to make sure ALL firmware is updated to the latest firmware possible, see if this helps.

Alex