Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: How to hack MFP / MFD RTOS ( Operating System )

Quote Originally Posted by PA3040 View Post
    I don't got BSD

What do you mean supper user access?

No. it shouldn't that much hard, I can simply input the mechanical counter signals to my embedded system. Apart from that I can manage

My concern is to take the signals or data from OS or any other digital out

As you advised at the moment we are collecting counters by FAX and those who do not have fax tech's go and collect
    Ricoh uses the (embedded) NetBSD Operating System. NetBSD is a multi-user Operating System, which is a Unix variant (BSD stands for Berkely Software Distribution). It is designed for embedded systems, like MFP's. The root user (or super user) can do anything on the system. The root user is the Administrator of the Operating System. He can alter files, delete files, grant priviledges to users, delete users, etc. Every process on this Operating System is running as a user process with no access to the Operating System itself. Resetting or altering the total counter is a very sensitive issue, so it is hidden very, very deep in the Operating System. It means that users have no permission to perform actions like deleting/viewing critical system files, alter them, or delete them. If you want access to the total counter, you'll need root access to the system and have a very good knowledge of the thousands lines of code of this Operating System, which is quiet impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    Ricoh uses the (embedded) NetBSD Operating System. NetBSD is a multi-user Operating System, which is a Unix variant (BSD stands for Berkely Software Distribution). It is designed for embedded systems, like MFP's. The root user (or super user) can do anything on the system. The root user is the Administrator of the Operating System. He can alter files, delete files, grant priviledges to users, delete users, etc. Every process on this Operating System is running as a user process with no access to the Operating System itself. Resetting or altering the total counter is a very sensitive issue, so it is hidden very, very deep in the Operating System. It means that users have no permission to perform actions like deleting/viewing critical system files, alter them, or delete them. If you want access to the total counter, you'll need root access to the system and have a very good knowledge of the thousands lines of code of this Operating System, which is quiet impossible.
    Good details

But recently I showed that the Ricoh uses Xilinx FPFA's which I am using them. and earlier I showed they ware using Destiny, however for the high end they are using their won silicon.I am not awarded about NetBSD and thanks for that news

You can also use Kyofleetmanager for this. Install the Printer DCA (Data Collector Agent) on every PC which connects to the machine via USB.
    The Printer DCA collects counters, toner levels, etc. and sends this to the Kyofleetmanager server. I don't know how much Kyofleetmanager costs, but if you have a lot of USB-connected machines, it might be worth it.

Interesting video about Operating Systems.

Theres a handy web based copier monitoring called print audit 6. It can monitor meter readings and consumable levels I believe for any manufacturer. It also monitors USB connected machines.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    How to hack MFP / MFD RTOS ( Operating System )

You can also use Kyofleetmanager for this. Install the Printer DCA (Data Collector Agent) on every PC which connects to the machine via USB.
    The Printer DCA collects counters, toner levels, etc. and sends this to the Kyofleetmanager server. I don't know how much Kyofleetmanager costs, but if you have a lot of USB-connected machines, it might be worth it.
    If your an OKI dealer in the US they have a DCA available also that's free to OKI dealers. then there's printtrac thats not free
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Dear Eric,

I have few clarification
    Does All MFP's are using NetBSD OS, I mean even low end MFP's Like MP2001L
    Last edited by PA3040; 07-13-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrag View Post
    Theres a handy web based copier monitoring called print audit 6. It can monitor meter readings and consumable levels I believe for any manufacturer. It also monitors USB connected machines.
    Dear phrag,

Do you know that most MFP's Mechanical counter and Digital counter are different. Do you know any reason?
    Last edited by PA3040; 07-13-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PA3040 View Post
    Dear Eric,

I have few clarification
    Does All MFS's are using NetBSD OS, I mean even low end MFP's Like MP2001L
    As far as I know, they do. If you print the SMC-reports it's listed (don't know exactly where...)

As far as I know, they do. If you print the SMC-reports it's listed (don't know exactly where...)
    Ok , I will see it tomorrow and update

Thanks