Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Just visited a customer that had the "add toner" message. The bottle still had some toner in it, so I just went right to replacing the pump, but the message didn't clear.
    Then I got around to checking the output, and it doesn't 'click' like the other 3 when activated - with either the new or old pump.
    It was a used pump that I grabbed out of parts machine I have, so I assumed it must be just another bad one, but when I got it back to my shop and re-installed it, it clicks and works properly.

This problem has ALWAYS been a pump or hose issue for me, but I see that it can be caused by a firmware issue, and/or maybe an engine clear might help. I don't know what firmware level is currently installed, but I'll take an SD card with the 'freshest' stuff with me tomorrow.
    What I'm wondering is, if that was actually the problem, would the machine actually be locked up so that it wouldn't even respond to the output check?
    Anyone have any other suggestions /experiences to arm me with before I get back there tomorrow?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just found a configuration page from some time ago, and the system firmware is at least Version 1.69, so that wouldn't seem to be the problem. Am I looking at an IOB perhaps?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Re: MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Do these toner pumps employ an electromagnetic clutch? I seem to recall seeing that variety somewhere. Maybe the clutch is malfunctioning, or that clutch isn't getting the ground signal? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Do these toner pumps employ an electromagnetic clutch? I seem to recall seeing that variety somewhere. Maybe the clutch is malfunctioning, or that clutch isn't getting the ground signal? =^..^=
    Yes, that's the "click" you would normally hear on the output check

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Just my two cents, but if the machine was locked up enough that it was preventing that toner pump from engaging in output mode I'd think the other pumps most likely wouldn't engage as well then either.
    Anyway, as the pump didn't activate in the output test mode or in normal machine operation, conditions that are different, the inputs that activate pump drive apparently don't matter and you are probably right about the IOB board. Although it wouldn't hurt to double check the wiring to the pump first. A loose connector or a broken wire have caused me unexpected problems a time or two.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Yes. The clutch is actually part of the pump. That's the two lead connector on the pump. There might be a loose connection going to the pump, broken or pinched lead in the harness or a bad output device on the board.

MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Just my two cents, but if the machine was locked up enough that it was preventing that toner pump from engaging in output mode I'd think the other pumps most likely wouldn't engage as well then either.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Yes. The clutch is actually part of the pump. That's the two lead connector on the pump. There might be a loose connection going to the pump, broken or pinched lead in the harness or a bad output device on the board.
    I did pull the connector out of the frame, and checked the pins and re-seated both ends. I'll have a closer look at the harness tomorrow, and take an IOB with me. That seems to be where this is leading

I appreciate the input guys.

Check the TD-sensor in the developer-unit. If itīs not work properly then the pump wont start. I have had the same problem whith an MPC2800. Changed the pump the hose the toner end sensor and nothing helpt. Then I changed the Developer unit to a new one the printer has worked since then.

Good luck

MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Well Fellas...the problem is resolved.
    In an attempt to not embarrass myself any further, I will just say that it was a defective toner pump all along (&*$!@#!!!!) , and a simple series of foolish errors on my part sure resulted in a couple of days of unnecessary headaches!
    But, at least I don't have to stew over it for the whole weekend!
    Maybe I'll treat myself to an old-fashioned style headache - by having a couple too many beers!

Don't be too hard on me
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 07-04-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MP C3500/4500 Toner Pump

Congratulations. I guess I've been pretty fortunate. All my toner pump issues were resolved by cleaning the tubing.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Glad the problem got fixed. Don't worry about the confusion, that happens to the best of us, and also me.