Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    MP161 copy quality only from ADF

I'm having a copy quality issue with a MP161 only when using the ADF. Picture attached. I've cleaned mirrors, reflector, slit glass, and changed the lamp. I've also tried a different ADF. The lines down the middle are a mystery but the blur on both sides has boggled my mind. None of this occurs off the platen glass or with prints but it shows up on scans and facsimiles. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP161 copy quality only from ADF

What is the direction of feed for the original? The blur on the sides looks like a jitter caused by the paper buckling. Since you said you tried a different ADF, I assume that you have another machine. Try changing out the slit glass and the hold down plate for the slit glass.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Check the white reference strip to make sure it is clean and intact. Sometimes that makes a difference between when the scanning mirror carriages are moving or not.
    Also, the void areas look a little like the original isn't making adequate contact with the ADF glass. So check for defects in the plastic guides around the ADF glass.
    (Heh, if those void areas occurred across all operations of the machine, I'd say the polygon mirror was contaminated, but based on the information you chose to share I'm pretty sure that's not the case.)
    Finally, there's a chance that if you have been cleaning the ADF glass with an alcohol based cleaner you may have wiped off the factory coating on the glass. That's kind of improbable as best I can tell it wouldn't explain the void areas. But it would explain the lines in your picture quite nicely. Something to check if time permits, I guess.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What we do know -
    • Paper is fed SEF (MP161)
    • Copies/Scans from platen are ok, prints are ok.
    • White plate is ok (since platen copies are ok)

I'm kinda with Iowatech and Slimslob as far as it probably has something to do with the adf glass/plastic frame. Almost looks like the leading edge corners are catching and buckling at the point of the blur.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Richariri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    What we do know -
    • Paper is fed SEF (MP161)
    • Copies/Scans from platen are ok, prints are ok.
    • White plate is ok (since platen copies are ok)

I'm kinda with Iowatech and Slimslob as far as it probably has something to do with the adf glass/plastic frame. Almost looks like the leading edge corners are catching and buckling at the point of the blur.
    Sorry but just because the platen copies are ok does not mean the white plate is. ADF uses a different scan glass and back plate... check to see if the adf's slit glass is not worn down, I've had this cause a slightly different fault but I can imagine if it's worn down a lot the fault would be worse (although the counter suggests it shouldn't of worn out yet). Also that slit glass is meant to be fitted a particular way round, make sure the black dot is in the correct place as per your manual. Honestly from what you've said i feel like it has to be a slit glass issue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

It wouldn't hurt to check the scanner assembly for skew.

The machine uses different resolutions for different functions, therefore the lines can be more visible in certain modes as opposed to others. The knock-on effect of a non-square mirror to ccd setup is normally grey lines that refuse to go away.

Strange jitter and grey lines normally point to a scanner that is out of square - normally on the unsupported side (i.o.w. left side) same as the AF20x and MP16/2000 series also suffered from.

Also check that the adf is installed square on the scanner. If this is not the case it can also affect copy quality.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Captain Scott's Avatar

Ive had that jitter on 2 separate occasions. All of mine occurred straight after removing t
    he slit glass and platen to clean the optics section. I cant exactly say what the fault is because all i can remember is spending around an hour on both occasions playing with the frame that the slit glass sits in or the plastic cover that goes over I t. Im pretty sure you should hear a knocking sound as the paper crosses that area, as if its catching on something as it moves over the area. On both occasion i have got it working so must just be the alignment of the df with the slit glass as the paper passes through the area. Good luck

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richariri View Post
    Sorry but just because the platen copies are ok does not mean the white plate is. ADF uses a different scan glass and back plate... check to see if the adf's slit glass is not worn down, I've had this cause a slightly different fault but I can imagine if it's worn down a lot the fault would be worse (although the counter suggests it shouldn't of worn out yet). Also that slit glass is meant to be fitted a particular way round, make sure the black dot is in the correct place as per your manual. Honestly from what you've said i feel like it has to be a slit glass issue.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. The white plate is used for calibrating the CCD, which if defective would affect images from both the adf glass slit and the main platen glass. Because the images are clear when using using the main glass then we know the one defect (dark lines) is not due to the white plate being inconsistent across its length. I was pointing out the blurs and light/out of focus areas is most likely due to a defective adf glass and/or support frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lines in the attached foto seem to be out of focus.. Therefore I would check for a bent frame. Also you see the lines are not straight but after the white/grey area it seems hight is different.
    I would say laserunit is dirty as well .. Please attach a scan of the original PRINTED counterpage. Maybe there's already something wrong ?
    technicians are the only ones that don't trust technical stuff !

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

looks kinda like a mylar copy