Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP 8001 Glossy Paper

How well does a MP 8001 handle glossy paper? Got a print shop that is looking at one...if it makes any difference the Glossy will be predominately 11x17.
    Are there types of glossy paper that it handles better than others?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 8001 Glossy Paper

Re: MP 8001 Glossy Paper

First of all, DO NOT use ink jet paper. The coating does not stand up to the heat of the fusing unit and will bubble and sometime will stick to the hot roller.

I know that for the Pro 907/1107/1357 Ricoh recommends using the LCIT. They also recommend replacing the blue urethane rollers with the older black EPDM rollers. See RTB No. RD179065.RTB No RD179065.pdf

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar

Martini C4... supports a variety of media sizes, including A3, A6 , Ledger 11 x 17", Legal 8.5 x 14" and Letter 8.5 x 11". Whether you are copying photos for friends or sending out birthday cards, it is always nice to be able to print on different media types, and the ones the Ricoh Aficio MP 8001 supports are Card Stock, Plain Paper and Transparencies. as per marketing portfolio i guees it would be trail and error and depends on what the customer needs. anyhow Good Luck Sir.
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 8001 Glossy Paper

I forgot to say in my first post, look for papers that specifically say for use with laser printers. These are usually slick surface paper and not coated surface paper. A few years ago the only one you could find for laser printers was either IBM or HP semi-gloss laser paper. Many other paper manufacturers not have semi-gloss and glossy laser paper available. The trial and error method has one major draw back. If it damages the hot roller, the supplier will just say that you should not have used it in a laser printer.

Sharp used to manufacture a copier that used cold pressure to fuse the toner. Made regular bond paper look like high gloss. It also made a loud click as the rollers came back together when the paper exited.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks,

They are using New PAge Blazer Digital 80# Glossy

https://www.newpagecorp.com/wps/port...Blazer+Digital

Gonna run some test next week.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

One thing to consider - make sure the listed paper weight is compatible with that machine. If the MFD specs lists that paper weight as OK, and you've made sure the paper vendor lists their paper weight specs as plain paper, you should be fine.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 8001 Glossy Paper

Quote Originally Posted by iscott View Post
    Thanks,

They are using New PAge Blazer Digital 80# Glossy

https://www.newpagecorp.com/wps/port...Blazer+Digital

Gonna run some test next week.
    Looking at New Page Corp webpage, I see two 80 lb BS WT Blazer Digital Gloss papers. One says Cover and is 216 GSM (g/m2?). This is with in the specifications for bypass non standard. The other says Text. It is 118 GSM. Assuming GSM is g/m2, this paper can be used from any tray. Why they list both as 80 lb BS WT I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Looking at New Page Corp webpage, I see two 80 lb BS WT Blazer Digital Gloss papers. One says Cover and is 216 GSM (g/m2?). This is with in the specifications for bypass non standard. The other says Text. It is 118 GSM. Assuming GSM is g/m2, this paper can be used from any tray. Why they list both as 80 lb BS WT I have no idea.
    This is just a guess, but it sounds like that might be the equivalent plain paper weight. The listed weights of other classifications of paper types convert to different plain paper weights after all.
    (Crap, that last sentence barely makes sense even to me, sorry about that!)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Oh GREAT! Now my head hurts...

For what it is worth, here's a website that has helped me compare the weights of some of the different paper types:
    Equivalent Weights Conversion Chart | Grammage Paper Calculator | Case Paper
    The values are estimates, but I've found them usually close enough.
    Hope that helps.