Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: Firmware Update Procedure Questions

Quote Originally Posted by peterxu256 View Post
    I'd like to listen to something in pure technical tune. Look at Sub-highlight title: Remote Update Environment.
    If lucky enough, someone knowing on BSD UNIX, expertise says something, it would be highly appreciated. Like Flash Stock Rom as you play smartphone well.
    I know the Two files size different, First instance remind myself of not renaming, so need advance expertise to advise how to modify the file, a creative idea. Idea occurred because TSRC made a mistake that the SD program file(.fwu) put into the same remote file program section.
    Don't waste your time. You'll need to have access to the Ricoh source code, which is impossible. And altering firmware files can cause serious problems. If you can't find the firmware, why not call Ricoh and ask for it, (if you're certified), instead of trying to hack the firmware.

Allthough NetBSD is open source, the BSD licence doesn't forbid anyone to make it closed source. The licence says something like: "Do with it whatever you want, but don't complain if it doesn't work."

By the way, why are you using multiple accounts here?

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Firmware Update Procedure Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    Don't waste your time. You'll need to have access to the Ricoh source code, which is impossible. And altering firmware files can cause serious problems. If you can't find the firmware, why not call Ricoh and ask for it, (if you're certified), instead of trying to hack the firmware.

Allthough NetBSD is open source, the BSD licence doesn't forbid anyone to make it closed source. The licence says something like: "Do with it whatever you want, but don't complain if it doesn't work."

By the way, why are you using multiple accounts here?
    He's going to brick it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    He's going to brick it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He has been given enough warnings not to do this, so it's his reponsibility. Controller Boards and Engine Boards are not the cheapest parts.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Models that have the Smart Operation Panel option can load the firmware for the normal panel and NOP machines can load firmware firmware for the SOP. Either error can have major unfavorable results. Improper firmware loading can cause the NVRAM and/or the controller board to have to be replaced in order to recover.

That's true plus some other possible limitations like different BCU firmware for different MP201 board revisions - pick the wrong one and say goodbye to your board

I was just referring to 95% of the update scenarios that are business as usual...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    That's true plus some other possible limitations like different BCU firmware for different MP201 board revisions - pick the wrong one and say goodbye to your board

I was just referring to 95% of the update scenarios that are business as usual...
    Thank you for remark regarding BCU firmware for different MP201 board revisions, I did once while first approaching the industry. I still remember something like "new engine board is only appliable to the firmware, old board type cannot use the firmware......: AT that time don't pay too much attention to illustration or firmware history. Anyhow, we're not Computer IT or OS experts, should not involve in too much on firmware.

thanks Folks