Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Leap of Faith...

Hope it all works out mate...
    I have a mate who's recently set up a dealership in Rocky...mostly Sharps so I'm guessing the demand must be there in the Rocky area.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Leap of Faith...

Been there for 9 years now. It is getting tough. Dealers are undercutting like a big dog just to get the business. Their pricing is 1/3rd of what I charge and are promising the world.
    The problem is people believe them to save some money, then get screwed in the long run.
    I visit each account each month to get the meter and check the machines for future problems.
    No dealer does that.
    My response time with me on site is within 2 hours. Dealers are saying a phone call by a tech is responding.
    I cover network problems, but the dealer charges $300 to walk in the door.

My advice is keep it honest and do what you promise to do.
    Keep the overhead low. I print out my own service tickets on site and make a copy for the customer.
    Almost everything you want to do online will cost something.

KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid). You will get more respect in the long run.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Neo, I had the same fears when I went out on my own in 1983. You'll do great! Remember, "do what you love and the money will follow."

Word of advise...don't over look sales, treat it as the frosting on the cake. Create a good relationship with a couple of great used equipment vendors. Used is where the best money is and a reliable supplier can make you rather than break you. If you need a supplier I would be happy to grease some skids for you sir.

Lastly, I work on most of what's out there and you may feel free to call on me when ever you have a need. I love to see techs blow off the corporate plan and make good for themselves.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I worked for a company that did this, but you're relying on the accuracy and thoroughness of your customers. Approximately 1/3 of our customers placing calls could not or would not enter a valid machine ID, did not know the machine model or serial number. If they could have come up with any two of the three the database would have found them. Even getting a valid phone number was unlikely. =^..^=
    Yeah BC I hear what you are saying.

Some customers and /or their staff have a temperment caviate or suffer convienent Technophobia,
    and insist on following their own methods with respect to logging a service call.
    For some reason they seem to forget that machines break down an you're the "allied", not the enemy.
    Every piece of information the customer can log on the call should be on the job sheet prior to arriving on site.
    Some customers prefer going out of their way some how to avoid logging the call the correct way.
    Asking office staff over the phone for the dreaded meter reading each month is the one example.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

That Leap-a-faith might require a parachute now that I'm missing my best manual supplier....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Leap of Faith...

[QUOwTE=NeoMatrix;432261]That Leap-a-faith might require a parachute now that I'm missing my best manual supplier....[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, it hurts.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I've finally decided to take a leap-of-faith on go out on my own working for myself as an independant/freelance.
    I'm going to advertise in the coming months to see what customer base is in the local area.
    I'm only interested with the service and repair side of the business first up.
    If business expands I might branch into sales an/or a salesmen at a later stage.

I will be working on any brand of business machine that needs repairs, which leaves me feeling a bit like a fish out of water already. I probably won't have manuals, firmware or steady parts supplier for all Brand-X model machines.
    In saying that, I may have to call on the experience of the CTN forum from time to time to help solve any problem machine faults. Though I wouldn't like to be seen as a repetitive an anouying pain to any one else either.

In any case (heeeve deeeeep breath) wish me luck. I feel I'm going to need it for a little while.......

Lookout Paul! ,all those CTN advertisement might have worked. I'm going to need a manual or twenty....

Feeling a tad daunted........
    Good luck! Hoping for your success...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

I'm sure I had already replied to this thread, but it appears to have gone AWOL
    So anyway, good luck with your new ventures, I'm sure it will work out just fine and you'll get all the assistance you require on here
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't