Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bypass Tray Expert 50+ Posts halbrandenburg's Avatar

Aficio SP 3510 - Host Name Issue

I've seen this occur on two different Aficio SP 3510 machines. Ones was a DN, the other an SF. Weird as it sounds, the customer reported the SMB scanning fails with a "Duplicate NETBIOS name" error. When I would go into the Network Settings, the Host Name has been changed to the name of a computer on the network. It was reported several times. The customer knows how to correct this. When I reported it to Ricoh, they claimed that couldn't happen.

This morning it occured on my demo floor, and the host name had changed to the same name as my print server. By default, the host name is specified as the name of the model of the device.

Anyone else seen this? Easy to fix, but odd.
    Last edited by halbrandenburg; 08-12-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Aficio SP 3510 - Host Name Issue

Sounds to me like someone has been playing. To my knowledge, the netbios name cannot change by itself. It can be changed both from the front panel and from WIM. Lock down everything in Administrator Authentication Management and change the admin and supervisor passwords. Make certain your boss knows the new password and why you changed them. Then wait to see who shows up saying they can't get in. This is very important if your company has unhappy employees.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Captain Scott's Avatar

ive seen this happen before and it was linked to the universal print driver. If a job was sent from a pc and then released from an Equitrac style setup (pharos) connected to the printer; the hostname on the printer would change to the name of the PC that submitted the print job (strange). I found a setting in WIM that you could select Universal as all was fixed up. I believe it was the same model and you have to search around to find the setting. Using the standard PCL driver worked fine. I thought I was going crazy.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Oddly enough, I've seen this on a few printers that have had people use print apps from their mobile: the hostname will change to something like Android print device or such, which is kind of odd since I haven't found a way to change the hostname on this model or the SP C2xx either!

Bypass Tray Expert 50+ Posts halbrandenburg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Oddly enough, I've seen this on a few printers that have had people use print apps from their mobile: the hostname will change to something like Android print device or such, which is kind of odd since I haven't found a way to change the hostname on this model or the SP C2xx either!
    On the SP 3510, the Host Name can be changed in the WIM. I'll check and see if I used the Universal Print Driver, which is common on our demo floor.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

I still think uni drivers suck!!! even though Ricoh says they fixed the early issues, and the drivers packed in windows suck even more......
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    I still think uni drivers suck!!! even though Ricoh says they fixed the early issues, and the drivers packed in windows suck even more......
    The only time I ever use uni drivers is if I have a customer with an older machine for which uni drivers are the only thing available, especially for 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by halbrandenburg View Post
    I've seen this occur on two different Aficio SP 3510 machines. Ones was a DN, the other an SF. Weird as it sounds, the customer reported the SMB scanning fails with a "Duplicate NETBIOS name" error. When I would go into the Network Settings, the Host Name has been changed to the name of a computer on the network. It was reported several times. The customer knows how to correct this. When I reported it to Ricoh, they claimed that couldn't happen.

This morning it occured on my demo floor, and the host name had changed to the same name as my print server. By default, the host name is specified as the name of the model of the device.

Anyone else seen this? Easy to fix, but odd.

Im sorry this is an old thread but i have this same problem. Duplicate NETBIOS name, and scanner has as host name of one of the PC. who do i solve this. just change hostname of the scanner to the device model? its a SP 3500

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keylog74 View Post
    Im sorry this is an old thread but i have this same problem. Duplicate NETBIOS name, and scanner has as host name of one of the PC. who do i solve this. just change hostname of the scanner to the device model? its a SP 3500
    Simple, start a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Simple, start a new thread.
    Okay thanks