MakeAPlanEC

MP301 Fuser Jamming - Modification

I suppose many of you had fusing jamming issues on the Ricoh Aficio MP301 models where the papers fold up like a fan and would happen on a regular basis on the same machine. The customer either want's their previous machine back or some will even put their machine out in the street.

Ricoh's Rubbish new design on their pick off pawls is what is causing the jamming. As you can see in the photos is that the new design has the spring putting tension from the back of the pick off pawl where the previous models AF1515/MP161/MP171/MP201 has the spring on top of the pick off pawl.
    Attachment 26009
    MP301
    Pick Off Pawl design

Attachment 26010

AF1515/MP161/MP171
    MP201
    Pick Off Pawl design

What we found that works is to use the previous model's Pick Off Pawl Holder, Pick Off Pawl and spring and the cutting off the little pin on the holder on both sides as illistrated in the image below. When installing the modified Pick Off Pawls ensure the holder is pushed into the fuser frame completly. You might find that the holder will sit little loose, but that shouldn't cause problems.
    Attachment 26011
    So far we have modified many of these machines in our areas and haven't had any complains of jamming yet.

Hope this modification will be help full.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (951.0 KB, 345 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (384.4 KB, 271 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (261.8 KB, 276 views)
    Last edited by MakeAPlanEC; 08-14-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Images / Wording not lining up.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP301 Fuser Jamming - Modification

THANKS!

Printed and saved.

The sales folk at our business can't avoid selling "newsed" (new used) machines and I think we have several of the potentially "problematic" machines out in the field.

robsondoirado

I'm having this problem on MP 301, I'm going to make this change and see if it works if I give the community a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeAPlanEC View Post
    I suppose many of you had fusing jamming issues on the Ricoh Aficio MP301 models where the papers fold up like a fan and would happen on a regular basis on the same machine. The customer either want's their previous machine back or some will even put their machine out in the street.

Ricoh's Rubbish new design on their pick off pawls is what is causing the jamming. As you can see in the photos is that the new design has the spring putting tension from the back of the pick off pawl where the previous models AF1515/MP161/MP171/MP201 has the spring on top of the pick off pawl.
    Attachment 26009
    MP301
    Pick Off Pawl design

Attachment 26010

AF1515/MP161/MP171
    MP201
    Pick Off Pawl design

What we found that works is to use the previous model's Pick Off Pawl Holder, Pick Off Pawl and spring and the cutting off the little pin on the holder on both sides as illistrated in the image below. When installing the modified Pick Off Pawls ensure the holder is pushed into the fuser frame completly. You might find that the holder will sit little loose, but that shouldn't cause problems.
    Attachment 26011
    So far we have modified many of these machines in our areas and haven't had any complains of jamming yet.

I'm having this problem on MP 301, I'm going to make this change and see if it works if I give the community a warning.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MakeAPlanEC View Post

Attachment 26009
    MP301
    Pick Off Pawl design

Attachment 26010

AF1515/MP161/MP171
    MP201
    Pick Off Pawl design

Attachment 26011

We found that keeping the nodules gives the stripper holder more stability. You do however have to file down a little of the end of the clip (on the latch side of the clip)that keeps the stripper in place.

I do agree that making the change is a huge improvement in terms of reliability.
    Press the GREEN button!!

robsondoirado

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    We found that keeping the nodules gives the stripper holder more stability. You do however have to file down a little of the end of the clip (on the latch side of the clip)that keeps the stripper in place.

I do agree that making the change is a huge improvement in terms of reliability.
    After the change the machine did not show any more jam.
    I also had to repair the register sensor actuator.