Thread: Toner pump life

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Toner pump life

Question Toner pump life

Hi All,

Does anyone know the expected life of toner pumps in MPC 3500 and MPC 3000? Reason for question is we have had some last 350K + and some less than 100K
    We use only original toner and when we install we are very careful to use the new hose and insure it is not kinked anywhere. We check developers and TD sensor values to insure this is not causing ovre running.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Larhal

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Toner pump life

Re: Toner pump life

I would suggest that your question would apply to just about everything manufactured on the planet, and I'd file the query in the "shit happens" drawer and move on.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larhal View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know the expected life of toner pumps in MPC 3500 and MPC 3000? Reason for question is we have had some last 350K + and some less than 100K
    We use only original toner and when we install we are very careful to use the new hose and insure it is not kinked anywhere. We check developers and TD sensor values to insure this is not causing ovre running.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Larhal
    What I think is happening is people are running them dry. When the bottle says it's time to replace they open and close the door. I haven't looked yet but I wonder if there is a setting that will only let you copy x number of copies after the light comes on then stop till they really change it.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Toner pump life

Shit Happens.

That is why they made the bumper sticker.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Toner pump life

Quote Originally Posted by Larhal View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know the expected life of toner pumps in MPC 3500 and MPC 3000?
    Until they fail. Environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity are a factor.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Toner pump life

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I would suggest that your question would apply to just about everything manufactured on the planet, and I'd file the query in the "shit happens" drawer and move on.
    X2!!!!

As long as everything is truly OEM, And it's not a bazaar environment, and the bw/color usage is according to spec's, and the sun and moon and stars are in alignment they last forever and ever.......

But in the real world if your really running OEM you should only see the occasional failure, if your aftermarket toner, you screwed yourself..............
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Toner pump life

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    X2!!!!

As long as everything is truly OEM, And it's not a bazaar environment, and the bw/color usage is according to spec's, and the sun and moon and stars are in alignment they last forever and ever.......

But in the real world if your really running OEM you should only see the occasional failure, if your aftermarket toner, you screwed yourself..............
    We Only use Original toner. What would be an occasional failure , on the clock?

Larhal

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Toner pump life

If you have customers with machines that are very light volume or set unused for periods of time, stock a full set of the tubes going to the pumps. Toner can clog in the tube when it is not used for extended period of time. Yes you can clean out the tubes, but that can break down the coating on the inside of the tube that is supposed to prevent the toner from sticking.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Arrow Re: Toner pump life

I cannot say I've ever had a problem with a toner supply tube exactly being faulty.

I have seen plenty of pinched and clogged tubes though.

In severe cases I've removed the toner pump tube(s) gone outside and unclogged them using a air puffer on one end.
    But I would not recommend washing them out so they are sparkling clean or stretching them though.

A light dusting of toner remaining on the inside of the tube helps with that initial flow of toner back down to the pump.

As for a yield for the toner pumps there was a brief time on select models / older service manual revisions that they were estimated at 1000k.
    But they have been removed from the PM listings now, I should imagine the failure rate varies but generally is much lower than 1M.

Of course engineers should know and customers be made aware the adverse effects of what high temperature and humidity can be on toner.
    Toner and Developer Guidelines | Resources |Katun

I know your post refers to the C3000 but there was a TSB for the C2800 in regards to the improved design of the Toner Pump. The C2800 and C3000 DO NOT USE THE SAME TONER PUMP but the bulletin really applies to both.
    Attached Files Attached Files