Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ikon Princess's Avatar

MPC3003 thumb drive

I have a customer who is trying to print from a thumb drive at the control panel. First she prints a counter sheet. She then puts the stick in to printer, selects print from memory device. She finds her file (18 pages some look like black and white some look like color), notices that color is selected, selects two sided and stapled. She then presses the start button. The prints come out beautiful, two sided and stapled! She then prints another counter sheet, color has incremented by 14 and black and white has incremented by four??? Visually looking at the pages, 6 pages look like black and white and 12 pages look like color. I didn't think you could do auto color select with prints or thumb drives. I am puzzled, any help would be appreciated. MY bad MPC3002 not 3003

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC3003 thumb drive

Re: MPC3003 thumb drive

All it takes is one color pixel on a page for that page to be counted as color. If there are no color pixels on a page, then it is counted as black and white.

Check the page settings in whatever program the customer is using to create the job and see whether the "B/W" pages are set to Black and NOT Greyscale.

Missing the point guys, customer chose color output but black and white meter clicked. what is up with that? There is no auto color select for print jobs from either the computer or a thumb drive. Thanks for your thoughts, but anything else? What am I missing?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC3003 thumb drive

Quote Originally Posted by Ikon Princess View Post
    Missing the point guys, customer chose color output but black and white meter clicked. what is up with that? There is no auto color select for print jobs from either the computer or a thumb drive. Thanks for your thoughts, but anything else? What am I missing?
    The determination as to whether a page is color or b/w is done by the MP C3003. When you send a print job, including from a memory device, each is processed to determine if has any color pixels within the page prior to printing. If the page contains color, it is counted as color. Otherwise, it is counted a b/w.

Just because you set Printing Preferences to color does not mean that every page sent to be printed will be counted as a color print. If a page does not contain color, it will not be counted as color.

When Printing Preferences is set to B/W, all color within the document is converted to B/W grey scale. All pages are counted as B/W.

Thank you for your reply and I will be sharing it with the end user. But if the same print job is sent from the ps driver everything prints as color when color is chosen, only color clicks no black and white clicks. I just don't understand how a thumb drive set to color prints can count some ad black and white. It's not like they chose black and white and some counted as color, it is the opposite. I am just confused and these ladies are killing me. Oh yeah it is a3002 I posted wrong originally, sorry if there is any confusion.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC3003 thumb drive

Quote Originally Posted by Ikon Princess View Post
    Thank you for your reply and I will be sharing it with the end user. But if the same print job is sent from the ps driver everything prints as color when color is chosen, only color clicks no black and white clicks. I just don't understand how a thumb drive set to color prints can count some ad black and white. It's not like they chose black and white and some counted as color, it is the opposite. I am just confused and these ladies are killing me. Oh yeah it is a3002 I posted wrong originally, sorry if there is any confusion.
    Setting a print from a memory device job to print color only tells the machine to print color if it is there, the same as setting Printing Preferences in a driver to color. As for PostScript, I don't deal with it that often. My guess is that the PostScript control language deals with the entire document, where as PCL (Printer Command Language) sends pages.