Unhappy Scan to e-mail on Server 2013

Hi everyone.

I have a huge problem. One of my clients change his e-mail server to Windows Server 2013 and all of a sudden, his RICOH MP-4000 started to scan only trash!!
    No attached file, only MIME data, i mean, the attached file seems decodified to mime, the message is all characters.
    In Ricoh LATAM told me that there may be something with the firmware of the machine, but i have already use the newest firmware of Engine (ver 1.07:05), NetworkDocBox (ver 1.13C) and Scanner (Ver 1.25).
    Am i missing something or is there some more firmware to upgrade than these las 3??
    Someone said that in order to scan to Server 2013, the server needed a patch so it can decode the mail in the correct form.

Help will be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to e-mail on Server 2013

Re: Scan to e-mail on Server 2013

The only thing that I can think of would be to check that "Divide and Send" is set to off. Also have the customer check that they have not set a very low size limit on the Exchange Server 2013. All segments of a divided attachment are in MIME format until reassembled by the Exchange Client. In order to reassemble the attachment, there are settings for both the Exchange Server and the Exchange Client.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to e-mail on Server 2013

Ask the IT ignorant dude what he set the max email size to and cut it by at least 1 meg on the machine.
    Set the machine to split per page instead of file size.

Make him look like the lazy, ignorant IT less-on he really is.(He doesn't qualify to be a moron.)
    All he had to do was read the OP install manual.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

If scan to email was working fine before the customer updated exchange, then that would suggest the issue is with exchange (which it is).

I'll send you more info via a PM roman2304.

Bypass Tray Expert 50+ Posts halbrandenburg's Avatar

I've seen this several times as well. I don't know what they had to do on the Exchange server but it was not quite the same as the DIVIDE AND SEND setting we have seen, even though the resulting emails looked similar to the MIME issue. Of course the Receive Connector on the Exchange Server has to be configured correctly for SMTP transmissions from external devices, but I would think they would already have set that up unless the old server was running Windows Server 2003.

The Divide and Send issue can be fixed on the copier, but this issue you describe is fixed on their Exchange Server. Like nmfaxman indicates, it is always interesting to see the stance the IT Guy who refuses to leave his chair comes up with to blame the copier.

This is an old document for configuring a receive connector. I stay off of customer's Exchange Servers for the most part, but this has come in handy for customers to give to their IT. I do not have one specifically for Exchange 2013 / Server 2012. But, if it is only happening on scans from an external SMTP source, the Receive Connector can play a part.

EXCHANGE DOCUMENT FOR IT
    Last edited by halbrandenburg; 08-28-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

I've heard that there's a service pack for Exchange 2013 which fixes this, however it's supposed to be fraught with danger for the fool who installs it.

For the likes of Office365 and hosted exchange where the customer has no Exchange server or they cannot change any settings to add a connector, we have an account with Outgoing authenticated SMTP server and email relay service (solves most SMTP and email relay errors). to route the mail. This would be your best bet, I think.

Other than that, I have nothing

Bypass Tray Expert 50+ Posts halbrandenburg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    I've heard that there's a service pack for Exchange 2013 which fixes this, however it's supposed to be fraught with danger for the fool who installs it.

For the likes of Office365 and hosted exchange where the customer has no Exchange server or they cannot change any settings to add a connector, we have an account with Outgoing authenticated SMTP server and email relay service (solves most SMTP and email relay errors). to route the mail. This would be your best bet, I think.

Other than that, I have nothing
    Good advice. Sharp Exchange Server admins get this working on Server 2013, and I've seen it working several times, but if they are upgrading especially from 2003 and don't have experience, it can be a chore. DO NOT let them lead you down the dirt road of going on a clicking spree in the WIM, and they will try to do this. Updating to current firmware is OK.

Regarding Office365, more of the same. I've seen it working three times, and seen it fail dozens. One IT Guy told me the Sender (admin email address) and the authentication account must have administrative privileges on the 365 Server and his was working. I was assisting him on another issue.