proggyy

Ricoh Aficio 1515 Add Toner Error

Hi,

I have owned this beast machine for two years, and now I am getting a 'Add Toner' error, despite inserting a new toner.

I eventually go into service mode and erase the error code but it keeps coming back. I open the cover and see some some powder leaking.

How do I fix this error

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Aficio 1515 Add Toner Error

There were issues with some of these machines and the toner hopper if I'm not mistaken. The workaround from Ricoh was to add the new bottle, and turn the handle down to release the cap before putting the hopper all the way back into the machine. Another possible issue is the PCU, which may not be seeing the toner even though it's being added.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Push the cover at the PCDU open. If there´s a lot of toner is the PCDU gone.
    Greetings...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

The 'plug' from the previous bottle sometimes gets stuck and remains in the toner hopper when the bottle is replaced. Check to see if it's in the old bottle, or still inside the toner hopper. That will block the flow from the new bottle

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Had once a broken gear on Hooper Driver Clutch.You can check without toner bottle set in and front door cheated if drive mechanism rotates when supplying.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Polo-022's Avatar

Someone to suggest him call a technician, please?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

After 2 years I'm guessing it never saw a tech,or he didn't mentioned who worked on it.
    PCU units can do about 60k optimum,I'we seen some developing units doing around 120k!
    Is old toner bottle completly empty,is there toner spilled inside the front doors and in side papper tray,do you hear any krunching noises?
    Usual cause is worn out gears in developing assembly,so if previous toner bottle is completly empty it means that hooper didn't open the new bottle the way it shuld and that PCU is good,if there is loads of toner inside it means that hooper opened the bottle,toner bottle motor is working propper,but gears are busted and can't take toner inside developing assembly.
    My sugestion is that you call a tech and buy whole PCU,not shure about rebuilding old one,perhaps mylars and bushings are ok (it took him 2 years to reach it's end,sometimes it means that bushings aren't damaged/leaking)
    New PCU will enshure that machine works flawlesly for another 2 years,at least for image forming...fusing unit rebuild awaits u around the corner.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Herostrat View Post
    After 2 years I'm guessing it never saw a tech,or he didn't mentioned who worked on it.
    PCU units can do about 60k optimum,I'we seen some developing units doing around 120k!
    Is old toner bottle completly empty,is there toner spilled inside the front doors and in side papper tray,do you hear any krunching noises?
    Usual cause is worn out gears in developing assembly,so if previous toner bottle is completly empty it means that hooper didn't open the new bottle the way it shuld and that PCU is good,if there is loads of toner inside it means that hooper opened the bottle,toner bottle motor is working propper,but gears are busted and can't take toner inside developing assembly.
    My sugestion is that you call a tech and buy whole PCU,not shure about rebuilding old one,perhaps mylars and bushings are ok (it took him 2 years to reach it's end,sometimes it means that bushings aren't damaged/leaking)
    New PCU will enshure that machine works flawlesly for another 2 years,at least for image forming...fusing unit rebuild awaits u around the corner.
    I have had the development gears fail with less than 45K on the PCU. Especially on low usage machines. Replace the PCU.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Check the shaft that goes through the clutch that spins the bottle - its plastic and gets rounded. As above tho - first replace the PCU, then try hopper then shaft as its kinda difficult to get to.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

This smells strongly of end-user, put your hand into your pocket and pay someone who knows what they're doing to fix it.