Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Printing one-half page vertically with ADF.

Re: Printing one-half page vertically with ADF.

My guess based on incomplete information, is that the mystery machine is set to booklet copying from the glass 2-up, with a 1-up original on the glass, then the machine splits the image onto two 1-up pages, like it's supposed to. Booklet 2-up, 2 to 1. The user can't understand why his 1-up original is treated as 2-up (based on his own choices).

If you're going to ask a hypothetical question based on partial information, you might say so. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lfh003 View Post
    This printing problem was not model specific...it was a question asked of me during a job interview two days ago.
    The question was most likely asked to see if you understood the operator settable features of most MFPs.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    OK, I can't take it anymore...
    Let me get this straight: Your first post in this forum is a poorly explained, hypothetical problem, from a 3rd party, that may or may not even be possible? - And in my opinion isn't! You've got to be joking!
    In a nutshell, you're saying that a single-sided original is placed in the ADF (I'm assuming SEF), press start, and the machine mysteriously decides to spit out 2 perfect individual copies -one of each side of the page?
    It makes no damn sense!
    My guess is that you didn't understand and/or translate the question properly to us, and that makes it REALLY difficult to help!
    If the problem(?) was occurring from the glass, I would say either operator error or the operator wanted to split the copy. Most MFP have a setting for taking an original, normally 11x17, such as a book or magazine and giving you two 8 1/2 x 11 copies, one of each page of the book or magazine. I believe that it can also be used with the doc feed. For it to occur when the original fed ran through the doc feed and then not work from the glass, the setting would have to have been changed, most likely by hitting the yellow Clear Mode (Reset) button or by the auto function time out setting.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The question was most likely asked to see if you understood the operator settable features of most MFPs.
    Whatever the case, it's damn stupid for an interviewer to ask, because it has NOTHING to do with a machine malfunction, and it would not be happening upon arrival -or even 30-60 seconds after it happened in the first place for that matter.
    And If I were in the interview room, I too, would have been looking at it from a technical defect angle, and not from a dumbass end-user that presses a bunch of buttons , gets an unexpected output result, and places a service call because if it.
    (I wonder if he/she has a profile on here and would make themself known?)

lfh003

OK...all of you that responded, thank you. Yes, all troubleshooting questions are hypothetical until they are successfully fixed (what if this, what if that). I was interviewed by an international giant for an analyst position and this was the one question I could not answer. The two managers that interviewed me would not give me the solution.
    I appreciate the responses from you professionals. I appreciate the Copytechnet site for having this forum. Thank you, again for being available to help.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If you'd like to work for a copier company, I would behoove you to learn some of the terminology. At least you can sound intelligent. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Yes, all troubleshooting questions are hypothetical until they are successfully fixed (what if this, what if that). I was interviewed by an international giant for an analyst position and this was the one question I could not answer.
    Take your hypothetical world somewhere else. We're not the ones being interviewed!
    Look around, it should be pretty clear that we deal with REAL field Service problems that are happening RIGHT NOW!
    You posted your issue as if that was the case with you, and it took until your 3rd post in this thread to tell us what should have been made clear from the outset!

If you want to talk about "what if's", and stuff. No problem.....just be clear about it!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Thank you, Iowatech, for responding.
    This printing problem was not model specific...it was a question asked of me during a job interview two days ago. What would cause such a feed/print issue: document printing correctly to paper when manually placed on the platen, but not when using ADF. The auto feed result was that one-half (vertically--top to bottom) printed in the correct location, another sheet would feed and the print would be correctly placed on the other side (vertically) of the second sheet.
    I see. Well, then depending on the equipment you are going to work on, the correct answer would be that probably nothing could cause that problem, and here's why:
    In most machines, the document's travels through the feeder is timed pretty strictly, so if there was a mechanical or electronic problem in the feeder that could cause this there would be either a jam indication or an error code before it could actually happen.
    If there was an image processing or print engine problem that could cause this, you would see it on the copies made from the platen glass, too.
    I suppose this could happen if the machine had gotten struck by lightning and was still smoldering (voltage surges can cause some unexpected and weird problems), but other than that the scenario sounds pretty improbable to me.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 09-01-2014 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Is, not are. D'oh.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

this appears to be another WTF thread............................................ .............
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

This situation is weird indeed.
    Blackcat is right, you should describe the issue more accurate.
    In such odd situation I suggest to go to the user manual. Some job settings made by the user might determine the machine to apparently behave strange.
    Always ask the user how he got into the situation.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

This printing problem was not model specific....
    You lost me at not model specific, since the same symptom could have several different causes on several different models even from the same manufacturer.

What if it was a single sheet ADF as opposed to a duplexing or even a single pass ADF?

It would appear that the FIRST thing the OP has to learn is that you must first know what type of problem you are having BEFORE you can begin to fix it.