Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    TechSupp

Ricoh MP301SPF Service Mode & saying toner low

Hi All,

We have a machine saying toner low permanently, despite changing out the process unit & toner cart....any ideas where to go next?

Can't seem to get it into service mode with the usual Ricoh method & it's not in the service manual....anyone know please?

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP301SPF Service Mode & saying toner low

Any chance it's as simple as the plug from the old toner bottle still stuck in the toner hopper and blocking the flow from the new bottle - like happens sometimes with the previous generation machines?
    ALSO..does the toner bottle turn? and are you using the proper type of toner? Genuine Brand or Generic?
    I think the old type 1170D fits, but it may not turn

Just my thoughts, having not seen one of these yet

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

I'm not sure if by "process unit" you mean the PCU?

First step would be to double check the toner bottle - the Type 1170D bottle is for the MP201 and below and will NOT work on this machine. MP301 toner bottles have "MP301" printed on them in big bold letters.

Then take a look inside the toner hopper and make sure that 1. The plastic piece from a previous bottle isn't stuck inside, and 2. When you press the handle down, the "claw" part is actually closing and retracting.

For me, it seems every time we have an add toner condition on a MP301 that won't clear, it's the PCU. The initial units that they come with just seem to be ticking time bombs.

TechSupp

Quote Originally Posted by Athlontini View Post
    I'm not sure if by "process unit" you mean the PCU?

First step would be to double check the toner bottle - the Type 1170D bottle is for the MP201 and below and will NOT work on this machine. MP301 toner bottles have "MP301" printed on them in big bold letters.

Then take a look inside the toner hopper and make sure that 1. The plastic piece from a previous bottle isn't stuck inside, and 2. When you press the handle down, the "claw" part is actually closing and retracting.

For me, it seems every time we have an add toner condition on a MP301 that won't clear, it's the PCU. The initial units that they come with just seem to be ticking time bombs.
    Hi Athlontini,

Yes I do mean PCU, excuse my rather generic terminology. Thanks for your advice, I'll pass this on to be checked.
    Could you confirm the service mode entry method on this machine? We have tried the usual but no joy & surprise, surprise it's not in the service manual.

Thanks.

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

"Clear" and "Stop" are now separate buttons, so you should be pressing [ClearModes] [1] [0] [7] [Clear]. Not the red "Stop" button.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Any chance it's as simple as the plug from the old toner bottle still stuck in the toner hopper and blocking the flow from the new bottle - like happens sometimes with the previous generation machines?
    ALSO..does the toner bottle turn? and are you using the proper type of toner? Genuine Brand or Generic?
    I think the old type 1170D fits, but it may not turn
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlontini View Post

There seems to be an echo in here

Ricoh Technician 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Hi Athlontini,

Yes I do mean PCU, excuse my rather generic terminology. Thanks for your advice, I'll pass this on to be checked.
    Could you confirm the service mode entry method on this machine? We have tried the usual but no joy & surprise, surprise it's not in the service manual.

Thanks.

once you get to service modes do SP 2928 thats the toner end clear.

FYI: Had this same problem on a machine with 19K, saying toner low after only a few copies. Customer called, saying green toner release lever was broken, and machine was calling for toner. Replaced toner hopper with one we had on the shelf, for a 171/201. When we replaced it, we saw they were using the 1170D toner and not the 301 toner. Told them to get the correct toner, which they did. Called a couple of days later, still calling for toner after only a few pages. Ok, gotta be the PCU. Replaced it. 2 days later, called again, same problem. Toner bottle is turning, but no toner in the hopper. Checked to see if the claws were opening the toner..... they were not. The design of the 301 opening is different than the 171. Everything fits, but the bottle is being held out far enough so the claws can't reach it to pull the plug. Didn't realize they were different...... until now. Hope this helps someone avoid a lot of aggravation. Jeff M.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

My experience with these size machines is that some toner bottles seems to be about 1/16 inch short. I take the exit tray ut and the bottle is not turning. Lightly push the bottle toward the rear and it starts working.