Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts andrewdecruz's Avatar

aficio 2238 - toner clogged up in black pcu unit

Hi, I have a aficio 2238 color copier which have a problem of toner clogging in the black pcu unit which in turn causes thetoner collection coil in the unit to stop turning as a result of toner clogging. I have replace with a new unit but the problem happens again after lest then 1,000 copies. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: aficio 2238 - toner clogged up in black pcu unit

Use SP-Mode 5-804-14 to check operation of Waste Toner Vibration Motor [M]

AF-2228C_Waste toner.JPG

and it was only in the black pcu? the others pcu´s are alright?
    I have the same problem, and it was the magenta pump that was damaged and the waste toner don´t go to the waste bootle like they should be. change the pump and the problem goes away. in my case the problem was in all pcu´s

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Are you installing the correct unit? I know that several same-looking PCU's from previous or sisters or printer models does fit but the lenght of the waste toner nozzle is different in most cases. If the part is proper you might try to vac out the entry of the waste toner canal machine-wise. If you're lucky it might be clogged in the entrance only (usually it does silly noises if it's seriously clogged):

Technician

Does the clear plastic piece where all of the waste toner (and where the vibration motor attaches ) look wet or oily? If so first check to see if the machine is level . When these machines are not level the oil catch system beads up and leaks in the machine, it migrates in that area and keeps clumping the toner up in that area.
    A tell tale sign would be if you remove the fuser and the bottom of it is wet with oil, it should be dry.
    Sometimes the oil turns to a thick milky whiteish color and clogs the oil return hole and or tube also.
    These are the most common issues that I have had with these machines that had reoccouring waste toner problems with the black.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts andrewdecruz's Avatar

Talking Re: aficio 2238 - toner clogged up in black pcu unit

Thanks guys for all of your replies to the problem that I described about the toner clogged up in the black. And yes, it only occurs on the black pcu's and when it happens (clogged) it gives out some silly sound and that's because the drum does not rotate during the copying process.

I will try to follow up on all your advice on solving the problem and let you guys know the outcome. Thanks again for all your replies. Really appreciate.