Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

MPC 5000 Fax forwarding Failure

Hey everybody, I've been stuck on what should have been a simple setup for a few weeks, here's hoping you guys can tell me what I've missed.

Basically, Faxes send and receive no problem (I think they're set up on a PBX) and Scanning works fine (to email).
    However when I set the machine to forward to the same email address it throws back a Communication failure report with E-1(hangup or line fail) listed as the result then prints the received fax.

I've never seen a failed email come through on a fax Comms report, and the machine appears to fail immediately when the RX is compete rather than after taking some time to actually try and connect to the SMTP server, I'm hoping there's a setting or a bit switch that I need to adjust, but I cant find much specific info.

I have tried a 5104 fax ram reset and 5801 fax application reset and tech support had me try some Fax bit switches but I can't remember which ones exactly (back to default now).

Anything you guys can suggest would be appreciated!

Cheers

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: MPC 5000 Fax forwarding Failure

Is there a fiery attached? Apparently Fax forwarding is disabled if there is.

No fiery on this machine.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Do the users have to select a sender in order to use scan to email? If they do, you need to enter specify the Administrator's E-mail Address in file transfer settings and turn on auto specify sender name. The administrator's email address will then be used as the sender for fax forward to email. It will also be used as the sender if the users forget to select a sender.

Technician

Do you have the admin email programmed in user tools-system settings-file transfer? I can not remember what error message that you usually get if you forget to put that in there.

Auto specify sender is ON and the admin email address is programmed in.
    The machine is set up with user accounts which are automatically used as the sender info for regular scans, I'm fairly sure I set up the fax forwarding entry with an access code, but I'll double check just to make sure it's not getting locked out there.

Still no resolution on this one, but I did get a report back from my tech support guy with more details on the error.

14-08
    Data Send to SMTP Server
    Failed (5XX)
    • Failed to access the SMTP server because the
    transmission failed.
    • SMTP server operating incorrectly
    • Destination folder setting incorrect.
    • Direct SMTP sending not operating correctly.
    • Software application error.

With fully updated firmware and regular scans working normally I don't really know where to go from here, I'm thinking I should talk to their ISP about it in case there's some setting on the SMTP server knocking back the fax forwards for some reason.

Did you perform a connection test to the smtp server from the copier?
    I had an issue last week where even though the smtp settings were correct,fax forwarding would fail with a 14-08 error UNTIL I resolved the smtp server from a name to an I.P address.
    Tested by sending a test fax and once the incoming fax arrived the error light went off and the fax was forwarded.
    Odd I know but changing the smtp server setting to an I.P instead of a name worked.
    It was caused by the customer moving from ADSL to the NBN....does Rocky have the NBN yet?

No NBN at the customers address yet and I think the SMTP server is set up as an IP already, but I will double check and maybe try some different DNS settings just in case it's a name resolution issue.

Oze, were you getting regular email scans through but no fax forwards or was everything bouncing back?

cheers for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Haso View Post
    No NBN at the customers address yet and I think the SMTP server is set up as an IP already, but I will double check and maybe try some different DNS settings just in case it's a name resolution issue.

Oze, were you getting regular email scans through but no fax forwards or was everything bouncing back?

cheers for your help
    No mate...scan to email AND fax forwarding to email were affected....once i fixed the scan to email issue the fax forwarding came good.