Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

So I’m aware of the issues with the side fence sensor, but as seems to be my signature move lately, I may have over-complicated a simple problem:
    I was called for a loud squeak.
    Upon arrival, I was advised of a paper size problem with one of the trays, which I promptly just turned “off” auto detect for both trays and set for 11”x 8.5” (LEF) because that’s all they use.
    Thinking nothing of it, I went after the squeak, which involved removing the paper feed clutches to get to the lower belt driven idle gear. After putting it all back together, the squeak is gone (yay), BUT tray 2 will not feed paper - AT ALL.
    I did have a quick look at the sensor, and it seemed to be seated properly – but admittedly, I didn’t remove the bracket.
    What struck me as strange, was that the paper feed clutch engages, but it doesn’t turn the shaft (paper feed roller) at all, because the belt drive stops at the same time.
    · It’s not a tray issue, because I tried tray 2 in place of tray 1.
    · I also replaced the paper feed clutch (just in case)
    · I can’t, for the life of me, remember if the initial paper tray sizing issue was for tray 1 or 2, but it seems that there must be some sort of relationship.

My first step on Monday will be to turn back on ‘Auto detect’ for both trays , and take it from there.
    Again, I’m aware of the sensor issue, but I had never watched it closely enough to see the behavior. Is there a possible connection between that, and me turning ‘auto detect’ off? I find it strange that there is No attempt AT ALL to feed paper.
    Any input that helps me look less foolish when I return on Monday is appreciated.
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 10-19-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

Re: MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

The only thing that I have encountered is that when the paper size is not being auto selected properly, there is a problem with the side fence sensor not proper detecting the width of the paper. The lift motor setting is also calculated from the auto size detect and not the manual size setting.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Like slimslob (to the best of my knowledge), the main mysterious effect of turning off auto detect was that it affected the paper lift plate timing. So while it could cause misfeeds by not raising the plate high enough (at least that was what I saw happen), I don't think it would prevent the feed roller from turning.
    This would probably make you look foolish (and you likely have checked it already), so I'm not going to say check the mechanics you took apart to get to the squeak, as it sounds like something didn't get put back together. Or maybe the clutch is bad.
    Even though I didn't say that, you may call me rude names if you wish.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Like slimslob (to the best of my knowledge), the main mysterious effect of turning off auto detect was that it affected the paper lift plate timing. So while it could cause misfeeds by not raising the plate high enough (at least that was what I saw happen), I don't think it would prevent the feed roller from turning.
    This would probably make you look foolish (and you likely have checked it already), so I'm not going to say check the mechanics you took apart to get to the squeak, as it sounds like something didn't get put back together. Or maybe the clutch is bad.
    I must say that sounds like the most likely scenario, like a drive pin that got dropped on the floor and wasn't noticed during re-assembly. Do we know if it worked before you fixed it? (sorry, I couldn't resist a little jab ... ) =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Haha...Not a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I must say that sounds like the most likely scenario, like a drive pin that got dropped on the floor and wasn't noticed during re-assembly. Do we know if it worked before you fixed it? (sorry, I couldn't resist a little jab ... ) =^..^=
    No worries Cat! Nothing wrong with a little friendly banter
    I have to assume it was fine beforehand. This machine is run very hard, and it's under a Maintenance Agreement, so I'm positive I would have heard about it. I can't even recall if it was tray 1 or 2 that had the Paper sizing issue that caused me to manually set the tray in the first place (It was a really 'off' day)
    The area I was servicing is pretty easy access. No pins or connectors need be removed - just slide off a couple of clutches, so I'm fairly confident about the re-assembly
    I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being some sort of conflict between the sensor and the manual size setting. It just completely slipped my mind after doing it, until I got home later and started thinking about it.

I'll post back on Monday after i (hopefully) sort it out.

Thanks guys!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Haha...Not a chance!

No worries Cat! Nothing wrong with a little friendly banter
    I have to assume it was fine beforehand. This machine is run very hard, and it's under a Maintenance Agreement, so I'm positive I would have heard about it. I can't even recall if it was tray 1 or 2 that had the Paper sizing issue that caused me to manually set the tray in the first place (It was a really 'off' day)
    The area I was servicing is pretty easy access. No pins or connectors need be removed - just slide off a couple of clutches, so I'm fairly confident about the re-assembly
    I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being some sort of conflict between the sensor and the manual size setting. It just completely slipped my mind after doing it, until I got home later and started thinking about it.

I'll post back on Monday after i (hopefully) sort it out.

Thanks guys!
    On the sensor issue, I had a call where the bracket for the sensor was slightly bent. Not enough to be easily noticeable, but enough for the sensor to not be fully actuated. On the feed problem, check that you got the belt routed properly. Oh and the sensor not detecting the wide position of the side fence can cause the feed pressure to be reduced enough to cause failure to feed the paper.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

I remember something about a TSB back at 3350, take a look TSB n°039, I bet that is your problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    On the sensor issue, I had a call where the bracket for the sensor was slightly bent. Not enough to be easily noticeable, but enough for the sensor to not be fully actuated. On the feed problem, check that you got the belt routed properly. Oh and the sensor not detecting the wide position of the side fence can cause the feed pressure to be reduced enough to cause failure to feed the paper.
    excuse slimsbob , that's is the same post, i d'dint see your post before i put mine.

MP 2851 Non-Feed jam

Quote Originally Posted by CRISTIAN MULLER View Post
    excuse slimsbob , that's is the same post, i d'dint see your post before i put mine.
    Thanks, but please also read the very first sentence of my original post.
    Also, nothing new to report about the problem yet, in spite of the fact that not one , but both sensors were actually out of position upon closer examination.
    The trays are now set back to "auto detect"
    I'll get back in the next few days for another look.
    I neglected to take a picture of the actual machine, but the layout of the paper feed drive section that's giving me the trouble is basically identical to the MP2510 in my shop (pictured below). The gear with the belt that was removed to fix the squeak is pictured. It turns at all times while the main drive runs - until the exact moment that the feed clutch engages (right side)- which is when it stops for a second or 2, causing the non-feed jam.
    2014-10-20 13.28.08.jpg

I know that this is one of those calls that I'm going to beat my head against the wall (even harder) once I find what is bound to be a simple solution