Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

GlobalScan NX slow to change screens

Ok, this is just plain weird.

I have a law firm with one MP9002 and three MP C8002s, all are set up with GlobalScan Server 2.2.1.

They can't use Serverless, as they need to OCR, which requires the server version.

All firmware and Java are up to date.

When the user goes to select a project icon, the display hangs on "Switching Screens" for 25 to 40 seconds. After that, all scanning is normal. Once the user logs off (no authentication being used) the process will repeat itself, being slow for the next user.

Not a server or network issue; I loaded GSNX on a Server 2008 VM session on my notebook, connected with a crossover, and had the same problem.

Not an issue with these two models, as I went to another customer with the very same two, and it worked normally, nice and fast.

We have done Wireshark packet captures, RLog captures, and the full SMC report, and sent them off to the help desk.

Anyone seen this before? All four machines are doing it.

Thanks.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Re: GlobalScan NX slow to change screens

I had a similar 30-40 second pausing problem with Globalscan NX.

After investigating it turned out to be an invalid DNS server entry, we figured the pause was how long it took for MFD to time out the connection attempt and move on to next DNS server.

Once corrected Globalscan NX worked fine.

Thanks.

Was the bad DNS on the copier, or on the GSNX server?

Oddly enough, the customer did have a bogus DNS 2 address; that server had been removed; that was on each copier.

I thought that would be the issue - I deleted it and plugged in the new, good address...no banana.

Maybe the machines are holding onto that bum address somehow?

Today we tried doing all the Java clear procedures, under SSP, still no luck. I don't think the HDDs have been reformatted, though.

Tomorrow I will check with the customer to see if the DNS entries on the GSNX server are good.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I haven't had the chance to get my hands on GSNX. I do know that in scan to folders with the OCR option, it can take time for the MFP to process the OCR data prior to sendiing the document to the folder.

Technician

GSNX is pretty memory hungry.
    Have the stack and buffer memory size options on the machine been set to max?
    This sort of issue is known to happen on other apps as well due to a lack of memory allocation.
    Also, is the app installed on the machines HDD or a SD card? Because there is an issue with running them off SD cards.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

They had 2 or 3 DNS servers manually specified on the MFD, one of them failed the connection test and that DNS entry was missing from the working MFDs.

When we removed the invalid DNS entry and the MFD soft restarted the network settings and from that point on we were able to login and browse within GSNX without any delay.

It was a little easier for us too troubleshoot as we had 3 other working MFDs of the same model that did not have the same GSNX pausing issue to compare settings with.

This is GlobalScan Server version, not Serverless.

Even though I did correct the bogus DNS entry on each MFP, I really think the "business end" is at the server.

The application was installed using RIM, and it put GSNX on the SD card on the MP 9002, and in the Java Flash Memory on the MP C8002s.

We have set memory at default. max, and at 75%, no real differences.

This morning, however, I spent some serious time looking through the Wireshark capture, and noticed that the server is trying to connect to the good DNS server, as well as the bad one. Methinks that is where the problem lies.

If you are interested, I will send the capture (no customer info is in it) if you want to see what it looks like. Please PM me if you want to get a peek.

Unfortunately, the customer emailed me back today and said that he "checked" DNS, inferring it was OK. I'm sorry, but the capture doesn't lie. He is off for a 4 day weekend, so I won't know much more until sometime next week.

On an unrelated note: The full SMC report for the MP C8002 is 150 pages! Yikes!!

Thanks for the help!

We found (and fixed) the problem today.

With the help of APS folks, we found that there were no entries for any of the copiers on the DNS servers.

We could ping any of them by IP address, but not by name.

Once we added the Hostname and IP address of the copier into the DNS server, the delay was gone.

No idea as to why there were no records on the servers, as their IP addresses were entered on each copier.

Anyway, I think I may need to brush up on my DNS skills!

y.gh

hi
    can i ask a question?plz
    how i can get Gloabal scan NX software?
    where i can donload it?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by y.gh View Post
    hi
    can i ask a question?plz
    how i can get Gloabal scan NX software?
    where i can donload it?
    Contact your nearest Ricoh Authorized Sales location. It is not free to use. You must purchase an activation key. When you order the key, they should provide you with a link to download.