Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Preferred Installation Method

Re: Preferred Installation Method

Some of the newer models allow you to "Clone" the settings to another like machine. Machine must be the same model and have all the same options installed. It al;lows you to copy everything that is not machine specific; Serial number, MAC, IP Address, counters, encryption keys, etc. It is very helpful when you have to deliver multiple machine to one customer. Configure one and clone the rest.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Sorry to hijack a thread, but, I have a customer (a local university) who has 2 machines in one department, they have quite a lot of entries in the address book of one device (MP3053) and want to transfer that data to their other device (MP5002). Generally I backup the address book via the WIM, then import it to the other machine, this method errors every time! I have done this loads of times in the past in other customers with no issues.

I tried backing up the address book onto an SD card, opening the file and editing relevant data (i.e. mac address etc.), I didn't think this would work...I was right.

So I downloaded Device Manager NX, now I don't know if I'm being dumb, but I can't work it out for love nor money (one of my colleagues was with me and he couldn't get any further than I could), I have just downloaded SDM using the link above, when I get a chance I'll go back in and try using that, but I am losing the will to live with this one.

I could manually programme the address book for them, it would probably only take about 45 minutes for me, but that won't help if they need to do it for other departments, and I don't like being beaten.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to using Device Manager NX that they can let me have please.
    Do they have an encryption key on one of the address books?

I have had instances where I have used WIM to copy address book data from one machine to another and gotten an error message. When I exited the address and then went back in, the copied addresses were there. This usually seems to happen when the target machine already has address book content. I haven't checked if there might have been identical names.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richariri View Post
    The reason I ask is because we were discussing another company in the office and one of our techs said that the company in question 'clones' the previous machine and just copies the data onto the new one. Now if i'm not mistaken is that not just copying nvram data and/or address book data across? Can you copy access settings via telnet and then just push them onto the new machine?
    As far as the easy cloning goes, I'm starting to learn that's a Brand X specific thing. I haven't seen anything like it on the Ricohs I work on, but I haven't worked on the newer Ricoh models since the mothership changed course a few years ago.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Do they have an encryption key on one of the address books?

I have had instances where I have used WIM to copy address book data from one machine to another and gotten an error message. When I exited the address and then went back in, the copied addresses were there. This usually seems to happen when the target machine already has address book content. I haven't checked if there might have been identical names.
    I don't think there's any encryption, the user who programmed it wouldn't know how to do that, and originally we were trying to copy it from his PC across the network. The copier I want to put the address book on doesn't already have any entries so should accept the data
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Richariri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    As far as the easy cloning goes, I'm starting to learn that's a Brand X specific thing. I haven't seen anything like it on the Ricohs I work on, but I haven't worked on the newer Ricoh models since the mothership changed course a few years ago.
    Yes, I looked up cloning copier last night and discovered Sharp provide what looks like a relatively good program to do this.
    I was a bit disappointing to find Ricoh's DMNXL can only clone the settings between identical machines (GW2011A).

The new models are a dream, apart from several mods we've had to fit they've all been running like beauts.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Richariri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I don't think there's any encryption, the user who programmed it wouldn't know how to do that, and originally we were trying to copy it from his PC across the network. The copier I want to put the address book on doesn't already have any entries so should accept the data
    do the machines have all the same features? (lower paper trays, finisher etc.)
    Senior tech just told me we get compatibility issues when there are different peripherals fitted.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richariri View Post
    do the machines have all the same features? (lower paper trays, finisher etc.)
    Senior tech just told me we get compatibility issues when there are different peripherals fitted.
    I have frequently copied the address book using WIM from an old machine to a new machine replacing it. Different model, different options.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ricoh is a B*tch with a capital "B" when it comes to transferring address book info...You never know if it will work transferring from an older machine to a newer machine via WIM...or if it will work transferring from a smaller lower volume machine to a larger higher volume machine...YMMV!

Our company has started moving away from Ricoh/Savin to Kyocera.

With Kyocera, you can manage all parameters of the address book right from KM Net Viewer and import/export address book info in CSV format for use in other ways. Better all around.

Ricoh/Savin is kicking themselves in the A$$ quite literally by not making address book info flexible.

Oh well...just my two cents worth!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have frequently copied the address book using WIM from an old machine to a new machine replacing it. Different model, different options.
    Me too, I have done quite a few installs recently and copied address book data successfully via the WIM, regardless of peripherals, the only thought I've had is if one on them has the fax option, I will email the user to find that out as I am likely to be busy for the next few weeks covering the ATP tennis tournament and may not get a chance to get back there soon
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't