Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Richariri's Avatar

Lightbulb Preferred Installation Method

Hello all,

Just out of interest I'd love to know what your preferred method of installation is?

The reason I ask is because we were discussing another company in the office and one of our techs said that the company in question 'clones' the previous machine and just copies the data onto the new one. Now if i'm not mistaken is that not just copying nvram data and/or address book data across? Can you copy access settings via telnet and then just push them onto the new machine?

I'm just interested really how people setup their MFP's.

I'll start.
    After refurb we simply reset system settings and setup the copier as we see fit. I.e. change toner threshold's, turn on A3 double count, adjust margins, download stamp data and set default settings etc. etc.
    We then take the machine to the site and set it up. We'll either install the drivers (predownloaded) on each individual PC or preferably work with their IT team to set the machine up on the server, this is where most issues seem to come from IMO (firewall settings), that and server 2012 issues (that's another question, what do people do as a work around for installing scanning pre 2013 machines on server 2012?)
    We make sure the MFP can copy print and scan and then we book in training. DONE - right?

Essentially as I've become the main techie in our small office, i'm wondering if we're missing something.
    Can i just use a piece of software or command prompt to pull all the settings and stuff off one ricoh machine and then install them on another? (super fast)

Hope my garbling has been readable..

and I look forward to hearing your responses..

GO GO RICOH RANGERS!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: Preferred Installation Method

You can copy the adress book contents from one Ricoh to the other, but DON'T try to copy NVRAM data from one machine to the other!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts engineers's Avatar

Pretty much the same as you really, any information before install is useful to pre configure.
    Using smart device monitor can be helpful, it scans the network and brings back any ricoh devices, you can log in and export or backup address books remotely

Just remembered, also with smart device monitor you can export and open it in excel, you can then paste in information, such as 100 peoples email addresses, then import it back onto the machine

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

If you have SDMA, DO NOT LOSE IT!

It can't be downloaded anymore from Ricoh.

DMNX has taken its place. It does the same thing, but is a pain in the @$$ to use if you're not already familiar with it.

And about NVRAM... don't even think about it. Just don't.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

You can still get Smart device monitor for admin, here is the link SmartDeviceMonitor

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Sorry to hijack a thread, but, I have a customer (a local university) who has 2 machines in one department, they have quite a lot of entries in the address book of one device (MP3053) and want to transfer that data to their other device (MP5002). Generally I backup the address book via the WIM, then import it to the other machine, this method errors every time! I have done this loads of times in the past in other customers with no issues.

I tried backing up the address book onto an SD card, opening the file and editing relevant data (i.e. mac address etc.), I didn't think this would work...I was right.

So I downloaded Device Manager NX, now I don't know if I'm being dumb, but I can't work it out for love nor money (one of my colleagues was with me and he couldn't get any further than I could), I have just downloaded SDM using the link above, when I get a chance I'll go back in and try using that, but I am losing the will to live with this one.

I could manually programme the address book for them, it would probably only take about 45 minutes for me, but that won't help if they need to do it for other departments, and I don't like being beaten.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to using Device Manager NX that they can let me have please.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Quote Originally Posted by tjvincent View Post
    You can still get Smart device monitor for admin, here is the link SmartDeviceMonitor
    I stand corrected.

One of my coworkers had told me you couldn't get SDMA anymore. Not true.

Still, don't lose it. It's somewhat common knowledge that it's going away...if not gone already.

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Sorry to hijack a thread, but, I have a customer (a local university) who has 2 machines in one department, they have quite a lot of entries in the address book of one device (MP3053) and want to transfer that data to their other device (MP5002). Generally I backup the address book via the WIM, then import it to the other machine, this method errors every time! I have done this loads of times in the past in other customers with no issues.

I tried backing up the address book onto an SD card, opening the file and editing relevant data (i.e. mac address etc.), I didn't think this would work...I was right.

So I downloaded Device Manager NX, now I don't know if I'm being dumb, but I can't work it out for love nor money (one of my colleagues was with me and he couldn't get any further than I could), I have just downloaded SDM using the link above, when I get a chance I'll go back in and try using that, but I am losing the will to live with this one.

I could manually programme the address book for them, it would probably only take about 45 minutes for me, but that won't help if they need to do it for other departments, and I don't like being beaten.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to using Device Manager NX that they can let me have please.
    You are absolutely not alone, Debs.

i pretty much gave up on it; I guess I'll need to cave eventually and learn the stoopid thing.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

My method is to get an 'interface settings list' from user tools, enter all of that into the machine, and either back up the address book via WIM or get the client to re-enter or make changes as a training exercise. If I can I will have both machines powered up so I can compare settings directly.

Settings often forgotten in rough order: Document server files, scan-to-email filetype/resolution, faxability (75hz ringtone), fax forwarding to email.

We like to take control of the driver install. It's easier to do it right the first time than chase down issues later caused by some IT goon installing weird drivers found on some random website. Often they dont' bother to set any defaults (such as B&W or turning off duplex default or changing the default tab to 'detailed settings', or check the drawer base and finisher are detected!

Quote Originally Posted by SargeNZ View Post
    We like to take control of the driver install. It's easier to do it right the first time than chase down issues later caused by some IT goon installing weird drivers found on some random website. Often they dont' bother to set any defaults (such as B&W or turning off duplex default or changing the default tab to 'detailed settings', or check the drawer base and finisher are detected!
    I wish I had a dollar for every time that happened... I could retire....