Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ricoh Firmware using a PC MCIA card

Hello, Have a few very old Ricoh,Savin,Lanier copiers that used the 4MB cmia card to update the firmware, the new pc's don't have the mcia port so I need to get a cheap mcia to usb adapter looked on the internet found some but am not sure which one is the one that I need. Any help would be grateful on a model number who makes 's it any info. thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Firmware using a PC MCIA card

I recall that the necessary software for writing the firmware (MCE) was pretty picky with supporting mainboard/pcmcia chipsets back then. I'm not shure if any USB adapter will work.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

It won't work, try to look for PCMCIA adapter on PCI card and install it on computer with window XP only.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

What ever you get, make sure that it is PCMCIA I not II. Ricoh used to have an adapter board available for older desktops and towers. Your best bet is to get an old laptop with a functioning PCMCIA I slot on 2. I think the trial version of the software is still available. If you use the trial version, backup the registry before installing the software. When it tells you that the trial period is over, uninstall the software, restore the registry and reinstall the software. Installation places a date stamp in the registry that remains after uninstall. Hope you have or can find the 4MB cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I recall that the necessary software for writing the firmware (MCE) was pretty picky with supporting mainboard/pcmcia chipsets back then. I'm not shure if any USB adapter will work.
    Thank you for the reply, I was thinking of just coping the bin fill to the 4MB card then installing it in its slot to rewrite the firmware

Quote Originally Posted by ccchuah View Post
    It won't work, try to look for PCMCIA adapter on PCI card and install it on computer with window XP only.
    Thank you for the reply, I will check on that thanks would the pci card also work under windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    What ever you get, make sure that it is PCMCIA I not II. Ricoh used to have an adapter board available for older desktops and towers. Your best bet is to get an old laptop with a functioning PCMCIA I slot on 2. I think the trial version of the software is still available. If you use the trial version, backup the registry before installing the software. When it tells you that the trial period is over, uninstall the software, restore the registry and reinstall the software. Installation places a date stamp in the registry that remains after uninstall. Hope you have or can find the 4MB cards.
    Thank you for the reply, I do have the 4MB cards just looking for a way to put the bin file on them you gave me some of the information I was looking for thanks..

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob6313 View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I was thinking of just coping the bin fill to the 4MB card then installing it in its slot to rewrite the firmware
    Thank you for the reply, I will check on that thanks would the pci card also work under windows 7?
    Thank you for the reply, I do have the 4MB cards just looking for a way to put the bin file on them you gave me some of the information I was looking for thanks..
    The main thing is that you need to use Memory Card Explorer to write the .bin file to the memory card. I don't know if it will run on Windows 7 as I have only used it on XP. If you have a laptop with a PCMCIA I slots or a desktop/tower with a PCI PCMCIA card board, you could try running it in XP compatible mode.
    Ricoh site for software: MCERICOH Home
    You might also try Memory Card Explorer by Elan: Memory Card Explorer - Elan Digital Systems Ltd. Software Informer.. It shows a later version number so might run on Windows 7, again if you have a compatible PCMCIA card slot.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The main thing is that you need to use Memory Card Explorer to write the .bin file to the memory card. I don't know if it will run on Windows 7 as I have only used it on XP. If you have a laptop with a PCMCIA I slots or a desktop/tower with a PCI PCMCIA card board, you could try running it in XP compatible mode.
    Ricoh site for software: MCERICOH Home
    You might also try Memory Card Explorer by Elan: Memory Card Explorer - Elan Digital Systems Ltd. Software Informer.. It shows a later version number so might run on Windows 7, again if you have a compatible PCMCIA card slot.
    Thanks for the links
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Damn, old technology, upgrade that box & move on!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk