Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iam3rr0r

Thumbs down Ricoh MP C4501 Admin Password

Hello,

Prior to posting this, I had searched through the Ricoh forum on here to find any info I could on a problem I'm having; however I'm not having much luck nailing it down. My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

We have several Ricoh MP C4000 (C4000 and C4501) series copiers where the admin & supervisor passwords have been set and long forgotten. To avoid the "red tape" and headache of replacing the NVRAM on all units, I've been trying to find a workaround to reset the passwords(or machine) to default.

Ive tried entering SP Mode to clear all the memory--no luck (assuming because the passwords are on the NVRAM). Can't get in from the device itself nor the web console. I stumbled across this post and wondered if it may be what I'm looking for. seems like it. Before I attempt it, does anyone know if this will indeed work for my device(s)? If not, does anyone know of any other methods i should try?
    Lost supervisor password?

Perhaps I should just move the copiers under a leaky pipe and collect insurance?

Before I resort to locating the plumbing schematics of my building, can anyone help me? Any help is appreciated!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C4501 Admin Password

Re: Ricoh MP C4501 Admin Password

There is a method in one of the threads for downloading the NVRAM contents to an SD card, then editing the contents to reset the password and upload the edited content back to the NVRAM. You will have to do it for each machine. If you choose to use this method, it would be a good idea on the first attempt to make a safety backup of the NVRAM contents. Actually, it is a good idea to make a safety backup of all NVRAMs. Then if you have a machine blow one, or as we had once, a pin on the NVRAM break off, you don't loose all settings.

iam3rr0r

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    There is a method in one of the threads for downloading the NVRAM contents to an SD card, then editing the contents to reset the password and upload the edited content back to the NVRAM. You will have to do it for each machine. If you choose to use this method, it would be a good idea on the first attempt to make a safety backup of the NVRAM contents. Actually, it is a good idea to make a safety backup of all NVRAMs. Then if you have a machine blow one, or as we had once, a pin on the NVRAM break off, you don't loose all settings.

Thank you!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iam3rr0r View Post
    Hello,

Ive tried entering SP Mode to clear all the memory--no luck (assuming because the passwords are on the NVRAM). Can't get in from the device

Perhaps I should just move the copiers under a leaky pipe and collect insurance?
    If you performed a FULL memory clear, have you since thoroughly tested the machines - specifically full-colour scanning and copying?" That insurance claim might not be such a bad idea if you don't have the birth certificates for them.
    (Hopefully you only tried it on one of them).

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    If you performed a FULL memory clear, have you since thoroughly tested the machines - specifically full-colour scanning and copying?" That insurance claim might not be such a bad idea if you don't have the birth certificates for them.
    (Hopefully you only tried it on one of them).
    But they can get it back to proper color, if they have enough time spend on it, and maybe end up replacing the laser assembly in order to have the proper settings and the ID sensor for the same reason. It gets easier after 2 or 3 and you then have some idea as to where to start.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    But they can getit back to proper color, if they have enoug time spend on it, and maybe end up replacing the laser assembly in order to have the proper settings and the ID sensor for the same reason. It gets easier after 2 or 3 and you then have some idea as to where to start.
    Agreed. There are ways to resolve the problems. I was just pointing out that a whole new set of issues had likely been needlessly created with the memory clear.

Technician

Cool Re: Ricoh MP C4501 Admin Password

Reset admin and supervisor password

Execute SP5846-046 in 143 not the 107 service mode.
    This will clear all address book and initial setting.

remember to backup your address book before execute

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jazzih View Post

Cheers
    I had exact sdame problem recently and tried what i thought was everything.. What jazzih is suggesting will work and is the easiest fix for you!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jazzih View Post

Cheers
    Why oh why did you feel the need to post this publicly. You should have sent it as a PM.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    Why oh why did you feel the need to post this publicly. You should have sent it as a PM.
    Agreed. Ricoh has already changed the main SP on the newer models because it became too widely known, which of course it was almost instantaneously posted anyway. If people keep posting this Ricoh may just change that too, or eliminate the back-door entirely. Then we are up the creek sans paddle...

People are responsible for their machines and the data they hold. If they set passwords and forget them then they should suffer the consequences of that. If a buyer doesn't know enough to check for passwords when selecting a machine, suffer the consequences.