Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

MPC8002 Tandem Tray

Hi Guys, I have a MPC8002 with tandem tray issues. Once the RH side of the tray runs out of paper the LH side starts feeding paper over to the RH side as per normal, but the paper is only moved about 30mm towards the RH side. The lift tray then raises thinking the paper has been transfered over, which of course it hasn't. There is no delay or slipping of the LH side rear fence which drives the paper across and the paper is not catching on anything, it appears the machine is just screwed up with it's timing. The result is an error saying the paper is over it's limit mark. I've actioned the tech bulletins and updated all the firmware. Any ideas?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC8002 Tandem Tray

Re: MPC8002 Tandem Tray

Check the white gear and black pulley that drive the paper from the LHS to the right. The "D" shape in the middle turns into an "O". Looks OK to the naked eye but when you load them up with 3 reams of paper the nylon stretches and spins on the shaft. Frequently replaced parts, our techs keep them in their tool bags.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC8002 Tandem Tray

The control of the rear fence for moving the paper from the left to the right is not a timing factor. It is controlled by 2 sensors. The rear fence home position sensor and the rear fence return sensor. Most likely the rear fence return sensor has a scrap of paper on it that as soon as the fence leaves the HP sensor, the machine thinks the fence has reached the right limit of travel.

Technician

Unhappy Re: MPC8002 Tandem Tray

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Sadly the drive pulley for the end fence is intact.
    Also I've checked the 2 end fence sensors (HP and Return) through input checks and they are functioning fine. I have also driven the end fence motor through output checks without a problem. Really annoying.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MPC8002 Tandem Tray

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdge View Post
    Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Sadly the drive pulley for the end fence is intact.
    Also I've checked the 2 end fence sensors (HP and Return) through input checks and they are functioning fine. I have also driven the end fence motor through output checks without a problem. Really annoying.
    If there is any slop at all on the pulley it will spin on the shaft when it's trying to move a heavy load of paper, but it will function normally with a light load. I've seen this a hundred times.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Technician

Thanks for the reply, but no it's not the pulley issue.
    For some reason the RH side of the paper tray thinks the paper has been tranfered over and starts to lift even though the LH end fence drive motor has only been driving for a fraction of a second and has only had a chance to drive the paper 20 - 30mm towards the RH hand side.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MPC8002 Tandem Tray

Since the sensors check good, you may want to take a peek at the rear connectors on the machine for the tandem tray. A small sliver of paper shoved into the connector will cause strange things to happen.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Mr Edge,
    Did you find the trouble with the tandem tray issue? I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a MPC6000 that has a weird problem, the RT tray will run out of paper, the machine shows that tray empty then the left tray starts to shift the left stack over but the RT tray lift plate never lowers so the paper stack is jammed under the RT lift plate. The RT tray back fence is NOT bent and the lift plate falls perfect when the tray is pulled out. I have done firmware and replaced lift motor and paper board with known good ones. Also I can't seem to find the output SP code to test the tandem tray lift motor operation if it exists?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC8002 Tandem Tray

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post
    Mr Edge,
    Did you find the trouble with the tandem tray issue? I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a MPC6000 that has a weird problem, the RT tray will run out of paper, the machine shows that tray empty then the left tray starts to shift the left stack over but the RT tray lift plate never lowers so the paper stack is jammed under the RT lift plate. The RT tray back fence is NOT bent and the lift plate falls perfect when the tray is pulled out. I have done firmware and replaced lift motor and paper board with known good ones. Also I can't seem to find the output SP code to test the tandem tray lift motor operation if it exists?
    Check that the sides of the right are not bowed in against the lift plate and binding it going down. Common problem on tandem trays.

The side guides are fine and the lift plate falls perfectly when the tray is released from the lift motor. It appears the lift motor does not reverse to lower the plate when paper empty condition. No paper in the connector and the rail screws are not loose. Is it possible to swap the 1st feed assy with the 2nd?