Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Savin C2525

artaispeaint

Savin C2525

Hey all,
    We have a strange bug. I've just been asked to help, and as I work on our printers not copiers, I'm not real familiar with this beastie. At any rate, when printing to the Savin c2525, the print spooler on the server (W2K) will lock up. Users receive an error about not being able to access a specific memory address. I'm sorry I can't be more exact, I'm getting this second hand. The network tech has been swapping users back and forth between the PCL 6 and PCL 5c drivers, and that gets them working for a day or so.
    I'm just starting to research this and thought I'd reach out to people with more experience than me and see if this is something someone else has seen before. I'll try to add more info after the next blow up, which should be shortly. *sigh*
    Thanks

Jeff

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts jeffreyozz's Avatar
    I would not necessarily blame the machine for this. A simple network simulation would rule the problem. One computer and a crossover, and print print print. Next step would be to locally install drivers and print print print. Off hand it sounds like a server issue, that is where I would start anyway.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Savin C2525

Unless they have an enormous amount of workstations, I would take the drivers off the server and put them directly on the workstations using Standard TCP IP Port. I remember something about Server 2000 having print server issues.
    Also I would use the RPCS driver as it can be adjusted to the workstation it is installed on. In other words if it is a slow computer the driver can be adjusted to use the power of the printer and vice-versa if the computer is faster and has more RAM.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Here is a really good thread I found on this topic... Network printing problems windows 2000 server - Windows BBS

Here is the main MS Knowledge Base article the thread refers to... How to troubleshoot printing problems in Windows 2000 and in Windows Server 2003

The first question I would ask the head of IT, dealing with this situation at the account, is if the problems started soon after installing a new driver.

- If so, then I would think that driver was corrupted at install and is causing the Windows Spooler to crash. In this case, would suggest reinstalling the driver.

- If not, then I would take the advice given above and eliminate the server from the equation all together by installing your driver on a few workstation's by using a direct TCP/IP port. In other words, don't share the driver off the server. At this point, give it a few days and see if the problem returns on the workstations that have the drivers installed directly on them.
    - If the problem doesn't return, then I would safely say that you don't have a problem. But your IT fella does.
    - If the problem does show up... well, I would stumped at that point.
    Hope this helps and best of luck.

artaispeaint
    I appreciate everyone's responses. I've printed out the thread, plus the other links mentioned and will get with the main tech working on this to look everything over and get started.
    Thanks again, and I'll let you know.

Jeff