Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Auto firmware update on new Ricohs

Hey, is anyone using the auto-firmware update feature on the new machines? It works great and should cut down on folks posting here looking for firmware, little by little, as the old machines are retired. It is so much easier to keep the machines up to date. When I'm done with the service call I start the update and tell the customer that the machine will be busy for a half hour or so, then when it's done it reboots and is back online ready to go.

Re: Auto firmware update on new Ricohs

The one in Service Mode? I rarely use it, takes too long to download the package. If I know ahead of time I always download to an SD card. If I am at the customers when I realise I need it, I will add a reservation and come back the next day.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Hey, is anyone using the auto-firmware update feature on the new machines? It works great and should cut down on folks posting here looking for firmware, little by little, as the old machines are retired. It is so much easier to keep the machines up to date. When I'm done with the service call I start the update and tell the customer that the machine will be busy for a half hour or so, then when it's done it reboots and is back online ready to go.
    I think your a bit overly optimistic, as those old machines that get retired actually get put into a container and shipped overseas or south of the border. That being the case, there will still be questions and requests for frimwar..............................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

I think as techs start using it they will find out how much of a time saver this really is. Word will get out on how to perform the procedure, customer IT, and key operators will be able to do it before they even place a service call, or some will place the call and the tech can call them to tell them to go ahead and update the firmware themselves. I wish Ricoh would retro fit previous models as well. The next step would be to have the machines check for updates every night at 3:00am, just like the Windows Fierys do.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you are referring to firmware updating through @REMOTE, most if not all models that are fully @REMOTE compatible can use it to update firmware. Updates can be scheduled either at the machine or through the @REMOTE GUI. Not all customers have @REMOTE, usually only larger national accounts.

Ruben, as for the package software, it does take a long time to download, but not any longer than it does to download all the individual firmwares. If you know exactly which firmware you need, then download the individual modules. If you don't know which ones you need, download the package. When you update from the package, it skips those modules that are up to date. One thing to remember if you decide to use the package, it only updates machine firmware. Peripheral items like finishers, ARDFs, etc still have to be downloaded and installed separately.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Auto firmware update on new Ricohs

I have most models firmware all pre-extracted to read-only romdata folders on our NAS which is accessible locally or securely over the NET.

It's one of my many jobs keeping it all up to date.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    What if the customer turn the machine off when it's updating, Will it thrash the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
    What if the customer turn the machine off when it's updating, Will it thrash the machine?
    All new Ricohs have a recovery mode to recover from that if the power goes out during the flash? It works, we tried it at Ricoh school.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you are referring to firmware updating through @REMOTE, most if not all models that are fully @REMOTE compatible can use it to update firmware. Updates can be scheduled either at the machine or through the @REMOTE GUI. Not all customers have @REMOTE, usually only larger national accounts.
    Most of our customers have @remote enabled, I think we are at around 85% penetration. Mostly banks are still not using @remote. I did not know that older machines could upgrade firmware with @remote. I will read up on it. Maybe they will make the interface user friendly like the current machines.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

For the past 6 months every Ricoh we install has @remote enabled.

im at at site now while updating an mpc2503, it's so easy, only took about 5-8 mins to download then it starts updating automatically, great!
    Canon have had this option for years.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk